• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Did anyone catch Vonnegut on the Daily Show?

Unfiltered Pall Malls

curiouswonder said:
He was interviewed last night by Jon Stewart.
you can see the video here
Good stuff, but Kurt is looking and sounding a bit rough these days.
J

I am told he is in his 80's and still smokes unfiltered Pall Malls.

I shall definitely try to view this tonight at home

Yeah, it was pretty funny. I'm yet to read any of his work, but they jumped up the list after watching him verbally sparring with John Stewart. Any 80 year old who can make jokes about evolution and 'the clap' is worthwhile reading, in my opinion!

The most brilliant thing...

One of the most brilliant things I ever encounterd was in a magazine interview with Vonnegut. He pointed out that so many clamor to see the ten commandments displayed on walls and monuments, but no one ever EVEN ONCE asks to have the beatitudes from the sermon on the mount displayed "blessed are the meek, blessed are the poor, the peace-makers etc..."

Now that to me is a brilliant observation, and speaks volumes

Of course, it cant speak volumes here because of forum rules.

But Vonnegut is truly a genius.

It must have been very difficult for him his entire life to live on a planet with such vast multitudes who are so not geniuses.

Sitaram said:
One of the most brilliant things I ever encounterd was in a magazine interview with Vonnegut. He pointed out that so many clamor to see the ten commandments displayed on walls and monuments, but no one ever EVEN ONCE asks to have the beatitudes from the sermon on the mount displayed "blessed are the meek, blessed are the poor, the peace-makers etc..."

At the end of the interview with Stewart, he starts to get into some "liberal" things he is sick of hearing. Every one of them is a quote from Jesus. You can also find that list on the Daily Show site .
Kookamoor said:
I'm yet to read any of his work, but they jumped up the list after watching him verbally sparring with John Stewart.
Last year was the year of Vonnegut for me. I think I read about six of his books. It's wild but great stuff.
J

Wow....the recluse is hitting the circuit to sell his book. :eek: I started this thread a few days ago about an NPR feature on him that you and others might enjoy. :)

Sitaram said:

Now that to me is a brilliant observation, and speaks volumes

Of course, it cant speak volumes here because of forum rules.

But Vonnegut is truly a genius.

It must have been very difficult for him his entire life to live on a planet with such vast multitudes who are so not geniuses.

LOL-The best read of the day. :D :D That's o.k. Sitaram...we all know that what you type isn't what you REALLY mean. ;)

I had no idea. I need to spend more time watching TV other than the Food Network. I'm looking forward to going home and watching this in the morning.

His new book is very affordable-$17.00 or so from Amazon. The "landline" place that I go to probably has it for $40.00. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link. I love the Daily Show, especially the segment This Week in God. Anyway, I'm also a huge Vonnegut fan; I share a lot of his views on the human condition. I wish I could've caught the interview, but oh, well. Thanks for posting the link. His PR campaign is working though. I'm going to go buy the book now.

Back