• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Discussion: Simmons, Dan: Hyperion Cantos

Kinkster

Has anyone read this book? I love it, it's my favourite sci-fiction book. I like the way Simmons combines spiritual and religious stuff with hard core sci-fic.

By the way, is the Hyperion movie still gonna be made?

Just finished Hyperion and wow, I'm impressed. Especially with what Simmons does with the ethics and time results of faster than light travel. Incredibly detailed universe and well built characters, without being bogged down. Who can tell me about the other books in the series? This one ended in a cliffhanger, which will probably send me running for the bookstore later today (pretty effective trick there.)

I can't even begin to imagine a movie. The script and effects would have to be perfect or it would become cheesy very quickly. It would have to create the background of the future to the same effectiveness as, say, The Minority Report, but with 100x the difficulty.

Hyperion(Dan Simmons) - who liked this book?

I've recently started reading this (i'm about half way through) and I'm struggling a bit to maintain my interest - I don't yet get the point of all the individual stories - do they make sense in the end?

I'd like someone to tell me that it'll all make sense after another 250 plus pages, and I won't feel it has been a waste of time.

I understand that the stories are a nod toward the Canterbury Tales?

Mark

I don't yet get the point of all the individual stories

The characters/Pov's = Canterbury Tales nod you mentioned.

My opinion is always finishing a book and then decide whether or not to continue on with the rest of the cantos. I don't think anyone can answer the question regarding waste of time, without knowing what other SFF books you enjoy. This is one of the those series I like very much (although not as much as others) that I have never heard anyone not enjoy. There are some unanswered questions (more books in series - but some remain mysterious), and some answered.

The real feat here is how Simmons gives each POV a different individual style reflective of the character- not just differntiating by what they say or action but how he writes them.

Its been a long time since i read this but i enjoyed it. The point of the individual stories are explained later on in the book. They are tied together in a way that will only be revealed later on once they arrive at hyperion and meet the infamous shrike. If i remember right you need to read both Hyperion and The fall of hyperion to get the whole picture.

Zolipara said:
If i remember right you need to read both Hyperion and The fall of hyperion to get the whole picture.

You are correct, sir! I enjoyed Hyperion immensely, but it just kinda stops and one must pick up The Fall of Hyperion to continue with the story. Dan Simmons is one heck of a writer I must say, much more "high brow" than the usual stuff I read!

I enjoyed Hyperion enough, but the ending made it seem too much of a set up for the sequel, Fall of Hyperion. In that respect, it doesn't work well as a stand-alone book. I'd say persevere only if you're ready to either go onto the sequel or be satisfied with an ending with loose ends.

Thanks all for the replies - I persevered with the book over the weekend(and glad I did, thanks again) and I'm not far off finishing the first one so will continue and finish it and will come back and read the 'Fall of..' in a while.

He is a good writer though I find his writing suffers, (like Stephen Kings) from too much exposition, IMHO - maybe I'm not as patient a reader as I used to be.

I've just been reading 'The Physiognomy' and 'The Beyond' by Jeffrey Ford - excellent reads (the third of three to be read still) and he manages to pack in as much details character and plot developments in 200 pages as Hyperion does in 400.

Mark

This is one book that I really keep meaning to read. I'll have to be naughty and order it some time soon.

'
ve just been reading 'The Physiognomy' and 'The Beyond' by Jeffrey Ford - excellent reads (the third of three to be read still)

Big fan of Ford, honestly he one of my favorite current writers.

a little off topic

Ainulindale said:
'

Big one of my favorite current writers.

Mine also - the first of his I read was A Portrait Of Mrs Charbuque' - I think that's the best of his I've read so far.

Mine also - the first of his I read was A Portrait Of Mrs Charbuque' - I think that's the best of his I've read so far.

I am (well trying to steal time) to read Girl in the Glass which is thus far excellent. I'm waiting for his Cosmology of the Wider World from PS Publishing.

I agree at this point A Portrait Of Mrs Charbuque is my favorite Ford work - but I also admire his short fiction, particularly his collection Fantasy Writer's Assistant - I can't for his next one Empire of Ice Cream next year.

Just a terrific author.

Back