• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

'Dispatch' by Bentley Little

lenny nero

Departing from his usual formula, Little delivers a surrealistic tale in the tradition of his best work, The Ignored. The protaganist learns at a young age that his talent for writing letters gets him free stuff, then it gives him influence, and then finally, power over others and events. One thing I really enjoyed about this one, which is different from all his other books, is that the protaganist isn't likeable at all. Where as in the past, most of his protaganists have been somewhat sketchy on morals, one could find something redeeming about them, but not this time.

I love Little's books and the biggest reason is that I can never tell where the story is going. He may use the same formula, taking the mundane and making it horrifying, but how he gets there is a constant surprise. A word of warning, you really have to suspend disbelief with his books, so if you are looking for realism, you might want to avoid, as most tend to be fantastical and surreal. Highly Recommended!

I've only read one of his short stories, never having being interested in his novels, and would consider his The Collection as a potential buy. I think I'm just shocked, reading this thread, that he has written something that didn't begin with The.

Back