• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do You Buy Hardcover or Paperback?

I buy softcover because of price offcourse. However I also collect books and it is far more rewarding to buy hardcovers. For instance I put an add in my local paper telling people that I was interested in buying there old books. I bought 75 book from an old lady for ten dollars and there was a 1984 first edition with the dust jacket. the rest was crap but that one find was incredible. Oh yeah and I always feel like i have to take the dust jacket off a hardcover they are annoying. Paperbacks are much easier to read.

derek12345 said:
Paperback..hardcovers are too exspensive and bulky. Plus I can buy more paperbacks.:)

Plus you can fold the book and read while you are outlining and underlining.

When actually paying for books, I always buy paperback, preferably trade paperbacks. They are cheaper than hardcovers.

When checking books out of the library, I generally look for hardcovers rather than paperbacks, since they are usually in better condition. I guess library readers are too intimidated by hardbacks to dog ear them, break their spines, drip mysterious substances in them...;)

Trade Paperback, I just love the way they fit in my hand, it just feels so write. I tend to lock myself in my bedroom with the cats, a can of diet pepsi and my pillow top mattress (which I actually sat in a "reading" position on before buying it) on the weekends, and trades are mush easier to hold, though I don't often buy books, I'm a library girl!

hardcovers or paperbacks ?

I used to prefer hardcovers. they look so much better on the shelf ! However, after 3 removals, I decided I was tired of packing and unpacking dozens of books. I got rid of them, either by reselling or donating them . I only kept my very favourite. Now, I mainly buy paperbacks which are cheaper, handier and easier to resell to the second-hand store. I buy a hardcover from time time if a favourite author of mine has a new book coming out and I cannot wait to read it.

My library's store sells hardcover fiction for the same price as trade paperback. I prefer hardcover, but since I only buy used books I tend to just buy what's available.

I hate the short paperbacks though.

I prefer to buy hardcover books over paperback because they last longer. I take exceptional care of my books, especially the paperback, but I somehow rip almost all the covers and sometimes the pages too. Right now I'm in the process of moving all my books onto a brand new bookshelf, so they might be safer there. Also, I go to book sellings alot, and most of those books are cheap, but not in the best of shape. That's when I prefer the hardbacks.

I prefer paperbacks, for a couple of reasons:

1 – much easier to handle one-handed whilst the other hand is occupied with a spoon, spatula, coffee cup, pole on a bus, dog, treadmill, steering wheel (just kidding :) )

2 – they hurt less. If anyone has ever fallen asleep with a book over their head, they know what I mean. A paperback on your face when you awake is less painful than a hardback smacking you in the nose as soon as you fall asleep.

3 – They’re cheap, like me.

Back