• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you like to read with background noise, or need complete silence?

If I'm reading around my place, I usually play CDs. I don't like listening to the radio or TV while reading, though, as the ads tend to break my concentration.

If reading on a bus, I'll sometimes listen to my mp3 player. Other times, clanky bus sounds are the (unwanted) soundtrack :p .

I can read anywhere. I'm a mom, I have learned to tune out the kids......and the husband for that matter:p

I pretty much can read in the middle of Grand Central Station if needed.

I love indoor silence. I find reading outside or with noise to be distracting, but I'll make do with anything if need be. Junkies might have preferences, but if they need a fix....

I have trouble reading with the tv on or music playing - but I can read on the bus, in waiting rooms, while making sure my students are reading (during silent reading time) and walking around the room....but my favorite is to read in my round chair with one or all three of our cats with me and no sounds around.

Complete Silence or Background Noise

Hi,
I dont care if there is noise or not, as long as no-one is talking.
I just can't seem to read when someone is talking whether in person or on the radio.
But I can usually jump into the book and hear absolutely nothing but what's happening in the book.
I've been told that my husband took about 5 minutes talking to me and shouting at me, and i didnt even know he was there.
Now that's what you call being in the story.

Regards
CARY

Depends on the background noise. If I'm reading outside or in a public place, the natural background noise isn't going to bother me. But if someone is talking very near to me, or if music is playing audibly, I can't read.

I've been told that my husband took about 5 minutes talking to me and shouting at me, and i didnt even know he was there.
Now that's what you call being in the story.

My husband has never had to yell, but there have been many times he has been talking to me while I was reading and I did not hear him. I also have the bad habit of trying to read while he's talking to me - say he interrupts my reading to talk about something and I kind of try to read out the corner of my eye...I often get caught at this.

VTChEwbecca said:
I also have the bad habit of trying to read while he's talking to me - say he interrupts my reading to talk about something and I kind of try to read out the corner of my eye...I often get caught at this.
I am SO guilty of this! However, any time he says something about my not listening to him and reading instead, I reply with, "Hon, it's kind of like me deciding to talk to you about my toenails during the Super Bowl." He always nods, puts up his hands and says, "Point taken.";)

Ten years of marriage has made it much easier for me to just give him the Is-this-really-important-enough-to-interrupt-this-chapter look. He'll nod and say, let me know when you get to a stopping point.

Preferably, I read in the silence of a nice quiet room; but if the danceteria downstairs kicks in I learn to cope.

i really can't have noise going on. my reading settings have to be <i>just</i> perfect. tv has to either be off or really low, and its just out of the question if people are talking. my boyfriend thinks i'm being anti-social when i walk into a different room to read. perhaps i am, perhaps i just want to enjoy my book.

also, i love to read in my car for some reason, but then i get weirded out when i think i notice someone watching me. but then again, i might just be very, very crazy.

It has to be complete silence for me. My mother seems to be able to read with the TV on and everyone else in the family talking, arguing etc and with the dog barking!!! I have never understood how she can take any of it in.

It's difficult for me to read without any kind of noise around me. Usually I have music playing low. I have no problem with people talking, cat making noise, whatever (unless the noise is very loud).

The only problem is when my boyfriend decides to sing... :mad:

Dharma

It has to be complete silence for me. My mother seems to be able to read with the TV on and everyone else in the family talking, arguing etc and with the dog barking!!! I have never understood how she can take any of it in.

She's a mom - mom's have superpowers when it comes to blocking out crap and getting things done, even when reading.

Let me describe my perfect reading environment...

A softly-lit room, with a roaring log fire, bookshelves from floor to ceiling, comfy armchairs all around. A large pot of tea (that's proper English hot tea to all you post-Boston Tea Party colonials!). A clock ticking, but no other appreciable noise. Preferably dark and autumnal outside.

Have I ever been there? Once, yes. In a hotel in Scotland. With two hours to 'kill' before evening meal time, while my colleagues were in the bar drinking, I snuck off and read. Absolute BLISS. All of which may make me antisocial in some peoples' eyes, but what the heck!

Do you like to read with background noise or need complete silence?

Well, I am right now reading these posts and writing replies with the background noise from TV in the hall which is just 20 feet from where I am sitting and the door is open.

If the book is really interesting, I can read with any amount of noise, but for serious subjects with difficult style, I need calmer environments.

Non-fiction in general needs less noisy surroundings.

I can handle the sounds of nature if I am reading outside but I like peace and quiet inside... I hate for the tv to be on or someone to be talking.. I can read with the tv on but I often have to go back and read parts over again.. Drives me crazy..

Back