• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you like to read with background noise, or need complete silence?

My favorite way to read is alone in a room, with my headphones on, generally playing something classical. I am not too fond of reading in places with loud noises, but I can if I want to. But it's easier for me to read during a simple conversation, and a movie that isn't too demanding of your attention.

My mother used to told us,"if you are really concentrate in your reading (it may either be story books or text books) even a band party cannot disturb you".

So background noise cannot disturb me.

I'd prefer total silence. That, or just the wind in the trees... *sigh* Much too sound sensitive I guess.
But, failing that most of the time, I'm very happy to have gotten an MP3-player for Christmas. :D At least now when others' sound systems (on the tram above all) are too oppressing, I can create a tiny (I hope, haven't checked how much out-noise there is in my earphones :eek: ) sound sphere of my own, with my own music. It's slower reading, but at least it's possible...

*mrkgnao*

Wow, You guys get a little over zealous with the, "OMG we talked about this six months ago" stuff.

I like to listen to music when I read, and I can also read while the tv is on. The only time I have an issue is when people are talking loudly around me. I'm not sure why I can handle a TV but not physical people talking.

Wow, You guys get a little over zealous with the, "OMG we talked about this six months ago" stuff.

I like to listen to music when I read, and I can also read while the tv is on. The only time I have an issue is when people are talking loudly around me. I'm not sure why I can handle a TV but not physical people talking.

The difference is probably due to being raised to be polite to real people..the tv chatter doesn't expect a response from you, while real, living breathing people talking in the same room do.

It depends what I'm reading, some books I'd prefer total silence (although I have become quite skilled in blocking out all background noise when I'm reading), but others I find that the right music can add to the experience. But then, I am someone who is almost as passionate about music as I am about books.

When i like what i'm reading, i don't hear the background noise so it doesn't really matter if there is any.
I usually listen to music while reading. But when i hear it it means i'm tired or bored and i stop reading.

I can't concentrate on reading if I can hear someone speaking. Music is okay as long as it's not sang in Finnish. That's weird but I guess it's because I mostly read in Finnish so the music and what I read kind of mix...
But I prefer silence.

I can't really read with background noise, too distracting, but music is okay, especially if it goes with the mood of the book. I prefer classical music with no singing, but if there is singing in the music, preferably not in English, so that the words can't distract me.

The boyfriend listens to loud techno after work so I've learnt to concentrate on reading with very loud background noise!

I can do both - sometimes I actually like a little background noise so I turn on the TV to something I'm not really interested in just for the noise.

I can't stand complete silence. If I'm home alone and reading, I have to turn on the TV, radio or listen to music on the net. Complete silence is actually deafening to me and more of a distraction than any TV show possibly could be. I hear every creak or little sound and it freaks me out for some reason.

I can listen to just about anything in the background while I'm reading. The most common, if it's of my choosing is the TV tuned to XM's classical station. However, I have been known to read during ballgames (when my team isn't playing), sitcoms and, most prominently, one of the Discovery/Science/History channel documentaries that the hubby enjoys. Unless the topic really interests me, I can tune out just about anything.

I will say that having someone talk to me distracts me since I don't wish to be rude, but cannot listen to their conversation and read at the same time. Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often since the hubby is aware that I'm lost to him when I'm entranced in a book and will only talk to me when the topic is of utmost importance.

I personally like reading with or without music. It doesn't really matter to me. But background noise just isn't worth it. When I try to read on a bus or in a classroom, I must have music to drown out all of the other noises and other voices. ;)

I prefer little background noise but in some settings (airports, airplanes, coffee houses) that is just not an option. I find TV to be less of a distraction than music. My idea setting is outside with only the birds and the breeze adn background noise.

The only time I really get a chance to read is before bed. Since I am an only child the house is usually pretty quite and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can't read when there is a lot of noise because I can't focus....

My idea setting is outside with only the birds and the breeze adn background noise.

I totally agree. I remember the first time I read a novel in one day. I was sitting outside with only the sound of the wind moving the trees and the birds slightly cherping. I was amazing. I only wish I could always have that type of setting! ;)

Back