• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you read in the toilet, and what reading material usually goes in there?

Though embarrassing to admit, I cannot go in there without some sort of reading material. No, it doesn't take that long to "do the business", but I can't sit for any period of time without something to occupy my mind.

I usually have a Reader's Digest in there and the latest Victoria's Secret catalog. The Digest is for me, though the hubby does read it occasionally. The Vikki's catalog is for what I want. I go through it, circle what I want and in what color and then leave it in there for him (I surreptitiously remove the Digest about once every 2 weeks) to see, note and, hopefully, purchase. There is also an electronic poker game in there since we are both Texas Hold'em addicts as well.

If my book goes into the restroom, I'm either bathing, hiding or at a point in the book where I simply cannot put it down for 2 minutes to relieve myself.

If I'm reading and have to use the restroom, then yes. But only then; I don't bring any reading material with me when I hae to use the toilet.

Spending extra time on the toilet can be hard on parts of your body you'd rather not mess with. One might find oneself reading the Preparation H box to pass the time. :rolleyes:

No, I just do my business and get out. :D I have occassionally read in the loo, usually when I was in the middle of a book that was so good that I just couldn't put it down. But it's been a long time since I've done that. :rolleyes:

yes, to the point where if I have to go really bad, I've still ran around the house looking for a book. my partner calls me Grandpa when she catches me reading in the loo.

I always do. Most of the time it's what ever book I'm currently reading, I also have a collection of old Archie comics on a shelve in there.

Only rarely do I read in the toilet, but I do keep a suitable book in there for those times.
At present it's "What the Chinese Don't Eat" by Xinran, a collection of interesting and entertaining weekly columns from The Guardian.

Reading about eating habits...in the toilet ::eek:
Making me feel a little queasy :)

When you ask "...what reading material usually goes in there?" do you mean what reading material is so bad that you flush it down the pan? :D I'm sure we could all come up with a list of candidates...

:D

Actually...I bring in reading material that is either Blah Blah in nature, or so bad, that it won't distract from my key objective :p

Some people bring in their favourite books or what they're reading...but if it's good reading, I'll be in there for wayyyy toooo longggg!

Though embarrassing to admit, I cannot go in there without some sort of reading material. No, it doesn't take that long to "do the business", but I can't sit for any period of time without something to occupy my mind.

Me too! One good thing is that my partner, like me, shares this strange "must-read-in-toilet" habit, so i just stroll/run blatently in with my selected reading choice. I have been known to refuse to go until I select the right reading! :)

I usually have a Reader's Digest in there and the latest Victoria's Secret catalog. The Digest is for me, though the hubby does read it occasionally. The Vikki's catalog is for what I want. I go through it, circle what I want and in what color and then leave it in there for him (I surreptitiously remove the Digest about once every 2 weeks) to see, note and, hopefully, purchase.

Selecting Lingerie Wish Lists while in the toilet? :) That's the first I've heard! Not sure my hubbie will take the hint tho...

It does not take for me to "do the business" longer than a couple of minutes, so I do not bring any reading material but I pick up cleaning spray bottles or a facial cream from the bathroom countertop to read the labels off.

It does not take for me to "do the business" longer than a couple of minutes, so I do not bring any reading material but I pick up cleaning spray bottles or a facial cream from the bathroom countertop to read the labels off.

In that case, perhaps it would be a good idea to take in something like a Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes collection. God I miss those two strips. :(

I love Calvin and Hobbes! However, my husband does not allow me to bring books to the restroom because he thinks it is unsanitary... that is why I started looking for something to read in the bathroom. :p

:) Yes, he is unreasonable but I am okay. In the past I took reading material to the restroom and sat on the stool way too long and I felt pain in "that" area. I think sitting on a stool longer than one hour is not healthy.

Have you watched an episode of Seinfeld which George took a book to restroom in a bookstore and he was forced to buy the book because the book was "flagged"? This thread reminds of the episode...

What a great question! But I have to say my answer is NO! I always think this is a predominantly male thing to do. I was quite horrified once when a male friend came to visit bringing me lots of magazines from England and then proceeded to take them to the toilet to read before handing them over! Yuck. I once went out with my husband's nephew who was looking for a nice basket to hold magazines etc for the toilet! I have had to stand cross legged outside my brother's loo while he sits in there reading so as you can see I am not really a fan of this idea.

Absolutely. If I have a book I'm reading or a magazine when I need to run to the bathroom, I will take it in with me. We also keep several books from the Uncle John's Bathroom Reader series in the bathroom. There has been many-a-time my husband or I just have to share what we've read while using the toilet. Why waste the time just sitting around?

Back