• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you read non-fiction?

besides psychology books (which reading is for my work), i love to read books about art and art history, biographies, and history and politics books about contemporary events.

Having a Bachelor's degree in history, I tend to read books on historical events or historical figures. One of the fascinating non-fiction books I read a few years back was called Victoria's Daughters, which looked at the lives of each of Queen Victoria's daughters.

I also read a fascinating book on Princess Elizabeth, who became Queen Elizabeth I, by David Starky; he's sort of the equivalent of David McCollough in England.

Do I read nonfiction?
Do school textbooks count? If I just read the parts we are being tested on?
Do AP Biology study guides count? If I just take the practice tests?
Do dictionaries count? If I'm only looking up one word?
Do calorie-counter guidebooks count? If I just want to check up on cake?
Does the newspaper count? Do the comics? The editorials?
Does Emerson count?
Does Reader's Digest count?
Do instructions manuals count?
Does anything by Michael Moore count?
Does the Bible count (though I don't actually read it)?
Tell me, do I read nonfiction?

Actually, I do...sometimes...kind of...well, at least I skim...
J/K. I really to do read nonfiction (when I have to ;))

I definitely go out of my way to read non-fiction, to gain background and better understand the world events of the day. After 9-11 I tried to learn more about Islam and Muslim terrorists than I knew, and than the newspapers and TV were presenting. Likewise, before that, I read a fair number of books to try to unravel the complexities of the recent multi-sided Balkan War (if that's the name). And, last of all, I recently read Assassin's Gate about the Iraq War, for a different forum. I get frustrated with the media repeating the same old story day after day, without ever going into greater depth about it.
And I'll ignore mentioning the enormous amount of factual reading involved in my work.
Peder

We live on such a fascinating planet. I'm in awe of life with all its complexities - in its present forms and both past and future. Reading non-fiction is one way of broadening your horizons - your perception of the things that are around us, the things that have shaped our lives and those things that we are yet to experience.

I don't often read non-fiction, but I do it occasionally on subjects that interest me. For example, right now I'm reading A short history of myth by Karen Armstrong. But I was having a little trouble in the beginning, simply because I don't read non-fiction often: I didn't know how to read it! :rolleyes: I didn't want to read it like a school book, as in taking notes and learning by heart. I also couldn't read it like a novel - it's not really a story... But now I think I've gotten into it. It turned out more or less like this: after almost each sentence I stop and think how this fits in with what I read before and what I already know. It's slow going, but then it's a thin book ;) It's also very thought-provoking - brain exercise! :D

*mrkgnao*

Back