• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you read non-fiction?

The Coming Plague is really gorgeous. I enjoyed reading it although it was a little bit scary.
Has anyone read Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? :D

A very good source for non-fiction that I often follow is The Notable Books list published by the American Library Association. I participate in a men's Bible study, so am always reading a commentary or guide. Not really fodder for the Forum here ...

I like outdoor adventure-type books, the most recent one being Hell and High Water, a report on kayaking down Tibet's Tsangpo River. I must also have a morbid sense since I often read real disaster stories, like The Perfect Storm.

Oberon said:
I like outdoor adventure-type books, the most recent one being Hell and High Water, a report on kayaking down Tibet's Tsangpo River. I must also have a morbid sense since I often read real disaster stories, like The Perfect Storm.

I LOVE outdoor adventure type books! I have Into Thin Air in my pile right now. And The Perfect Storm is on my list, too. I've already exhausted my local library, so now they have to "import" my requests. :D

May I suggest Ice Bound by Dr. Jerri Nielsen?
It's the story of a middle aged doctor from Ohio that takes a year sabbatical to work at a south pole station on the Antartica.
Among the stories about herself and the other "polies", she tells about being forced to perform a biopsy on herself after finding a lump in her breast, and due to the extreme conditions no one was able to fly in for aid.

RaVeN

cajunmama said:
I LOVE outdoor adventure type books! I have Into Thin Air in my pile right now. And The Perfect Storm is on my list, too. I've already exhausted my local library, so now they have to "import" my requests. :D
cjm, I thought Into Thin Air was excellent. After you finish, you might be interested in looking up some articles by other expedition members and get a different perspective on the same events. Quite fascinating.

ell

Oberon said:

In that case you may like to try Joe Simpson's Dark Shadows Falling. It's an exploration of the "darker" side of modern mountaineering, and looks at the way in which greed and ambition have created a climate where people are able to pass dying climbers, refusing to offer assistance rather than jeopardise their own expeditions. He's a very stylish writer, too - also try Touching the Void (and see the film, if you haven't already!)

I'm not a huge military buff but I do like the books by that Ambrose fella (you know, the Band of Brothers guy, his first name escapes me). the D-day one was a riveting read, if a little long.

I also love books on ancient history, theories of evolution, cosmology amongst others.

While i do like Ambrose's WWII books, i much prefer his works on the Lewis and Clark expedition and the one on Crazy Horse and Custer. I found these quite fascinating, as i didnt know much about American history going into them.

Phil

I rarely delve into the world of non-fiction. When I do it is either for a business motivation-esque book or it means that Jon Krakauer has written another :cool:

RaVeN said:
May I suggest Ice Bound by Dr. Jerri Nielsen?
It's the story of a middle aged doctor from Ohio that takes a year sabbatical to work at a south pole station on the Antartica.
Among the stories about herself and the other "polies", she tells about being forced to perform a biopsy on herself after finding a lump in her breast, and due to the extreme conditions no one was able to fly in for aid.

RaVeN

Ooo! I remember reading about her in National Geographic! I didn't realize she'd written a book. Thanks for the recommendation, RaVeN!

Also, if you are interested in things Polar, you really should find a copy of Alfred Lansing's book Endurance. It's about Shackleton's failed attempt to reach the South Pole. It makes Into Thin Air look like a walk in the park. (And that's no knock on Krakauer's book - I liked it, too.)

funes said:
Also, if you are interested in things Polar, you really should find a copy of Alfred Lansing's book Endurance. It's about Shackleton's failed attempt to reach the South Pole. It makes Into Thin Air look like a walk in the park. (And that's no knock on Krakauer's book - I liked it, too.)
I just read Into Thin Air and I really liked it. And a week or so ago, I saw a PBS show on Shackelton's failed atttempt. I've put Endurance on my list to read.

A Brief History of the Future - John Naughton

This is an excellent study of the origins of the internet, by academic and journalist John Naughton, whose Observer column (go to http://www.observer.co.uk and search on his name, or try his entertaining blog at http://www.skillbytes.co.uk/memex/) is essential reading for anyone remotely interested in the 'net and its possible applications. He traces the web all the way back, before ARPAnet at the Pentagon and discusses the ideas and theories expressed by those dreamers who imagined a vast communications network before any of the technology existed. He writes well, and manages to pass on his enthusiasm to the reader, especially when discussing issues such as open-source technology and the collaborative nature of the internet. Highly recommended.

How Mumbo-Jumbo Conquered the World - Francis Wheen

Another non-fiction one, this time dealing with the current decline of rationality in both politics and society in general. Written by Francis Wheen, a columnist on The Guardian, it is by no means lefty polemic, though much of the neo-conservative values are attacked, quite rightly, as being completely irrational. Other targets include 'New' Labour, spiritualism, homeopathy and Islamic fundamentalists. Wheen starts off with the rise of Marget Thatcher and her idolation of the free market; but mirrors that with the coming to power of the Ayatollah Khomeini in Iran. Thatcher wanted to taken Britain back to her golden age of late-Victorian values and entrepreneurism; the Ayatollah also wished to take his country back in time, but to a medieval-like society. All kinds of fuzzy thinking is subjected to Wheen's witty and thoughtful attack - he genuinely laments the apparent loss of scientific understanding in almost every walk of life. Of course, much of what he writes is mere common sense - the taking of any political or religious creed to extremes is a pretty dumb thing to do - but I think this is a timely book, and a call-to-arms for all of us of the opinion that all people need to do is think now and again, and then everything will be ok. The trouble is, of course, is that they never will, and nor will it ever be.

Ell said:
cjm, I thought Into Thin Air was excellent. After you finish, you might be interested in looking up some articles by other expedition members and get a different perspective on the same events. Quite fascinating.

ell
For instance, The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest by Anatoli Boukreev and G. Weston DeWalt provide another perspective on the tragedy. Boukreev, who lost his life less than two years later, was honored with the American Alpine Club's David A. Sowles Memorial Award for his heroic actions taken at great personal risk that fatal night. The book incorporates "thoughts and memories" from nine members of the expedition who gathered five days after the event to ensure, including Boukreev.

Thanks for the recommendation for Endurance and let me go north for you and read Barrow's Boys: A Stirring Story of Daring, Fortitude, and Outright Lunacy by Fergus Fleming. John Barrow was the British Admiralty officer who was directed to find the Nortwest Passage among other global-charting expeditions. Barrow was not given a great budget, nor were many of his pet theories proven, but his explorers were the people who inspired Perry, Livingstone, and Shackleton. It's a great overview that points toward more reading in this area.

In a completely different vein, Blackhawk Down by Mark Bowden is an amazing record of the firefight between American special forces and the renegades who held Mogadishu at their mercy. The movie, while very good, just cannot convey all the details that the book brings to light. Blackhawk Down Web site is also an excellent source of information on the event.

I love nonfiction. I love learning about the world. In some cases, I feel like I'm reading a fiction book because I can't wait to see what intriguing fact is coming up. I know it sounds completely dorky, but I can't help it. I'm a dork.

My favorite things are history and science. I'll have to try some biographical reading sometime.

RitalinKid said:
I know it sounds completely dorky, but I can't help it. I'm a dork.
Be comforted, Kid, you are among fellow dorks. ;) (Nerds, bookworms, intellectuals, literate, whatever you want to call it :p )

Stewart said:
That's a brush I don't like to be tarred with... :(

I see you're reading Calvino just now; how are you enjoyng it?

I gave alternate labels, I didn't say we were all dorks. For instance I am a nerd, and happy to be one. Sorry :eek:

Actually, I am not doing much enjoying of Calvino right now. I am in a CHristmas rush trying to get some things done/made so have put reading on the back burner for a while *sob* :( What I have read, I have liked and can't wait to be able to get back to it. :D

PC Term for Nerd

Guys, I think I have a politically correct term for nerd. How about "Information Addict" or "Information Junkie"? It describes me. Plus, you know, people who can't get enough crack are crack addicts or crack junkies, so it kinda goes along with mainstream US culture. Whaddaya think? Would it ever catch on? Could we become recognized as a minority and demand that our rights be protected by the ACLU? :) I mean, NAMBLA did it! :rolleyes:

Back