• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you read on public transport?

Reading in transit

I read nonstop on planes. I always take a few books with me in my carry on and then stop at the airport bookstore and pick up a few more. Vacations are reading orgies for me. On a trip to Buffalo to visit family, I read 9 books in 8 days (including Updike's version of Great American Short Stories).

Cars are another matter. As a few here have mentioned about reading in cars, I get motion sickness. Even knowing this I occasionally try but end up green at the gills.

Yep, I read on the bus all the time. There's not really much else to do on the bus and depending on where you're going the trip can be quite lengthy. I also like to live in a world of my own choosing and be able to freely ignore people on the bus.

Only on a plane because I'm completely trapped. It's also the only place that I'll sleep in public.

I generally can't read in public because I get distracted easily by people moving around. I like quiet places to read. I can't read with music on either.

When I took the bus on a regular basis, I read a lot during my commute. It's a great way to avoid people who want to make idle chatter with you.

I have read on vanpools, trains, and buses. I remember reading Tom Clancey's Red Storm Rising and part of Hunt for Red October on a flight from San Diego to Bahrain. I read most of Gone With the Wind on flights between Washington, D.C. and LA.

I get car sick if I read while sitting up in a moving vehicle. However, if I lay down in a car or bus, I can read with no problem.

I get car sick if I read while sitting up in a moving vehicle. However, if I lay down in a car or bus, I can read with no problem.

I used to commute on a bus. Nobody ever said anything, but I understand I upset some folks around me when I'd turn on the reading lamp so I could read. I guess they had a hard time sleeping.

When I had an hour's commute to downtown for my work, I always had a book with me, nowadays, living out in the country, I have to drive everywhere, so that is out of the window. I suppose I could listen to books on tape, but I find I concentrate so deeply on what is being read, I more or less can't drive.
lol I suppose I can't walk and chew gum.

I always have a book in my pocket to read, but often I'll sleep or just get lost in a reverie. Is there anything else to do?
I once asked a woman for a date and everyone, but EVERYONE, turned around and looked. Boy, did that shake up their day! I think they all lost their places in their newspapers. :lol:

Back