• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you skim or read every word?

Violanthe

When you're reading a new book, do you read every word? Do you ever skim? If so, what parts do you skim? Does it depend on the author? How the story develops? Your mood at the time?

I skim textbooks, and read every word of real books.

That's the way it should be, isn't it? ;)

I read every word when reading. However, there have been a few times that I skimmed. The few times that I skimmed were on books that i didn't finish.

I read every word, if I start to skim that usually is a very clear sign of my not liking the book; or that I am very tired or have been reading too long, but usually it is just the book being bad.

I have to read every word. If I suddenly find I don't understand something or the punctuation as got me a bit confused I have to go back five or ten lines to get the flow going again. I'm finding this with the book I'm reading at present; it's written as a story being told to a group and sometimes it can cathch you out as to who's speaking, the person telling the story or a character in his story.

Oh I know what I mean anyway:confused: ;)

blueboatdriver said:
I have to read every word. If I suddenly find I don't understand something or the punctuation as got me a bit confused I have to go back five or ten lines to get the flow going again. I'm finding this with the book I'm reading at present; it's written as a story being told to a group and sometimes it can cathch you out as to who's speaking, the person telling the story or a character in his story.

Oh I know what I mean anyway:confused: ;)
LOL, I know exactly what you mean. And its not always the readers fault either! But sometimes I'll find, I don't know just who is speaking, and have to go back. But some authors its impossible to skim one bit, like Vladimir Nabokov for example! I'm usually a very fast reader. But with VN, if I read too fast, I have to go back, not that I don't end up rereading (as per the author himselfs instructions! :D ) at least one time, maybe twice.

It just depends on how layered the author is. So I suppose that is my long winded manner of saying, yes sometimes I do skim, and it won't matter, but sometimes I can't. :rolleyes:

I skim non-fiction, or just use the index to target what I really need. But fiction I read word for word. When I try to skim fiction, I always miss the key to the whole thing, so it just isn't worth it.

Do try to read word for word but when i do skim i am usually tired and the words dont sink in time to stop,and go sleep :)

I read everyword when I'm reading the book:D
But when I go back in the book to get information I skim.

I try to read all the words but sometimes descriptions get a little too much and I find myself skimming. It generally means a bad book, though.

Violanthe said:
When you're reading a new book, do you read every word? Do you ever skim? If so, what parts do you skim? Does it depend on the author? How the story develops? Your mood at the time?

Good thread! I read everything and if I can't maintain interest and want to skip a lot, then I'd rather put it down and read something else.

MonkeyCatcher said:
I skim long winded descriptions of the landscape, but otherwise I read every word.

Same. Or long descriptions in general, although I don't dislike them completely, unless they get very specific-that puts me off.

bluedahlia said:
Same. Or long descriptions in general, although I don't dislike them completely, unless they get very specific-that puts me off.

Me three. However, where it's relevant to the story, I read every word.

Every word, if it's good. Otherwise I end up skimming parts. usually happens towards the end of poor books, if I stick with them.

I read every word in real books but skim in text books. The only time i'd skim in a real book is if i've previously read it and want to see what difference i take from it be skimming but it's usually a year or so after originally reading it.

Who reads introductions? I don't even bother skimming them. I used to have a quick look but found I was reading someone elses opinion, which, I found, could distract from my personal interpretation of the book I'm just about to read. I ususally have a bit of a skim when I have finished. The book I'm reading at present starts about fifty pages in due to a massive intro; waste of space.

Back