• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Do you talk to yourself?

I often curse myself for doing stupid stuff. This is normally accompanied by repeated slaps to the forehead.

I do have conversations with myself from time to time about my "next steps", and where my life needs to go.

When I drive long distances, I usually prefer to turn the radio off and get lost in my own head, conversing and day dreaming. Sure makes the time go by quickly! (I have actually missed an exit by over 50 miles doing this, though!)

How about you?

Quite often, yes. Or rather I'm talking to objects around me, my computer gets a lot of verbal abuse :eek:

Yes, I do tend to talk to myself when I'm writing. And sometimes when I'm going to sleep - I need to bore myself into dropping off. Other than that, I don't talk to myself.

CDA said:
Yes, I do tend to talk to myself when I'm writing. And sometimes when I'm going to sleep - I need to bore myself into dropping off. Other than that, I don't talk to myself.

Are you sure you don't talk to yourself at other times?

Kenny Shovel said:
Only on public transport. It tends to get me plenty of space to spread out.

I may have to try that, I always end up with someone next to me that thinks I'm a pillow and sleeps on me. :eek:

Kenny Shovel said:
Post of the day. If only Stewart and Martin could disagree with this level of civility and self-awareness.
Agreed! Very funny.

I also talk to myself. Not frequently, but probably once or twice a week. It's usually to work out a situation (regarding work, marriage, friendship, etc.) and to decide what I will say when I have to say it to someone else. I think it's almost like therapy, really.

My husband and I are both only children, so we were discussing this subject this morning. I was curious to see who else does this and what their theories may be regarding why. I certainly don't do it to keep myself company - I'd be bored to tears in no time!

I pretty much talk all the time, but I'm almost never alone, so it's really a running commentary for everyone else. When I'm out and about, I seem to have a habit of assuming I'm already in conversation with the people around me. A lot of people start with a look like, "Do I know you?" but it usually gets more comfortable after that.

This, by the way, seems to be a regional thing. I grew up in Chicago, where conversations among strangers start easily. Now I live in Washington, DC, where there's a lot of suspicion, and it's harder to break those barriers.

In my head I do it a lot, usually about what I need to do and how to do it. I also try to talk to myself in French in my head to keep in practice. Out loud, I only usually do it when I'm alone and when I have done something completely idiotic or when I need to really motivate myself to do something. Although, I have started talking to myself when I'm shopping in the supermarket... it's a lot of fun! I just wish so many people didn't stare...

As for singing to myself... that's a whole other story!

I've been know to talk to myself when I'm working on a problem. Talking or thinking out loud gives me focus, and thoughts often sound differently when saying them out loud, which helps me sort things out.

Like leckert, I do that in the car. Though if I do, it's because the radio doesn't work in one of them. :eek:

I talk to myself all the time. I pace and have chats about the things that need to be done, grandiose plans and great sighs of futility. I am a dreamer.

I talk in my sleep all night long as well. Is THAT talking to oneself?

Back