• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Does anyone ever read these threads?

sirmyk

:( At first I was skeptical to visit a place like this (The Book Forum in general), but then I found there was a Writers' Showcase section... how exciting! A good place to share some projects for some honest feedback, I had hoped. Now, after a few months of posting stupid thoughts of my own in the numerous categories of threads, I am disappointed that this isn't the most favorite and most visited of sections... no one ever seems to respond to anything longer than a short-short poem. No critiques, no helpful words, no enthusiasm... The liveliest of sections seems to be the General Chat area, where postings consist of a single spew of thought and nothing more. Is this because we are busy, or because we are lazy?

sirmyk said:
Is this because we are busy, or because we are lazy?

Probably a little of both. I usually read what people post here, but I usually don't post critiques. If I'm going to critique something I'm going to get down and dirty and really red pen it to death. I've been known to spend hours on papers my friends write. I rarely have the motivation to do that kindof thing online.

You're quite right that this subforum is not as popular as others. I'd even venture to guess that some members have never been here.

I'm guilty of not coming here as often as other areas of TBF and I even post some of my scribblings here! Why don't I post more often? Sometimes I don't think I'm qualified to give a good critique, other than whether I like something or not. I'm sure other people feel the same way. On the other hand, some of our members give very detailed, constructive responses.

I come here if I see new posts. I guess I'm a regular, in that I like to look over here and see what's up.

But I consider it a subinterest in the forum overall. I can see why some people have no interest. I like to use it to have fun, to mess around with an idea, and to look at others' writing, though I only offer comments on things I respond to. There are certain kinds of writing that don't' appeal to me, but I think that's just a matter of personal preference, not a condemnation or anything worth telling the writer.

i'm like ell. i often read what is posted here , but have a difficult time critiqueing( i don't even know it that is spelled right) i suppose i could just say i liked something or i didn't like something, but i feel that most posters in this section are looking for more feedback than a thumbs up , thumbs down.

Aww, dumb luck. I seek criticism of my poetry like a little boy seeks a giant pile of mud--loves it, though he knows it's going to get him in trouble, but when all is sorted out, he's a lot cleaner than when he started.

So mehastings, get out your red pen. I will relish it.

But I agree--not everyone is willing to critique everything. But I think that everyone has a response to everything, even if that response is "blah." I think it would be nice to see people give a response, even if not a direct criticism, when they felt something--anything--more than "blah."

I'd probably spend more time here and write more here if I spent more time on TBF, but I spend precious little time here as it is.

Like the others have said, I read a lot of the threads but do not comment on them. I only feel comfortable critiquing work of friends or relatives in a more personal enviroment where it can be discussed and they really know me and understand my meaning. Too much can be misunderstood online.

I don't think I am good enough writer to review what others have written. I am still takling in terms of reviewing, not criticising!

I make sure I read what's written here and if I feel I have some good point/observation to make then I post. Usually, I am mute spectator.

sirmyk, please see the following thread: http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=6268

I can't spell, I don't grammar or grammer, and I couldn't tell you or anybody else much more than "I liked it, or I didn't like it" which has a tendancy to just piss people off, or look like I didn't put much effort into reading the post.

I think there's a very serious desire to not hurt peoples feelings, and almost an expectation that you are required to say mostly nice things about what you read in this area of the forum.

It is also probably difficult for many to critique somebody they don't know from Adam. If you're a newb that posts something and asks for critiques in your first 10 posts on the forum, nobody knows how well, or how personally you'll take what is said. I can post something and be assured that many will know that I will take what I get without stomping away in a tizzy and threatening to leave the forum.

IMO this section requires much more time, and effort than any other area on the forum. It's a very serious area.

Because I access from work, I can't manage more than a brief read of posts, so trying to read and critique someone's work wouldn't be something I had the time to do.

Therefore, I tend not to read much of this section because I like to critique and wouldn't want to do a half-arsed effort - especially when somebody had been brave enough to put their work 'out there'.

Despairing, as in holding my head in my hands and feeling sorry for the English language and the way some would have it.

Back