• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Does spelling still count?

novella

I'm intrigued by a common phenomenon on the Internet. Many people claim to be intelligent and well read and curious, etc, and--even in a post stating such a claim--they will post misspellings that are simple to look up anywhere.

I'm not an advocate of the spell-it-any-old-way you-know-what-I-mean school of communication, though I do understand a certain degree of laziness. But why would a person who has a pretty good idea that they are getting something wrong choose NOT to get it right?

There is a very recent post on this board that exactly illustrates this point, but it seems rude to jump all over a single instance when it is a common problem.

Does spelling count? Does this bother anyone else?

Misspelling and grammar laziness has always bothered me in any form, but especially since the birth of the spellchecker. I try to overlook it when it occurs; however, I am a perfectionist and I can't help but have a lower perspective of that person's intelligence if they can't or won't take the time to capitalize/punctuate appropriately and at least try to spell most of their words correctly.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this! I understand that there are different levels of education, language barriers, etc. But to me, there's really no excuse for simple laziness.

My impression is that many people think it just doesn't matter at all, as if just because they're not getting graded on it or it's not getting published, nobody else will care either.

I'm not really talking about the odd typo or leaving out punctuation, but when someone literally throws a bunch of letters together and pretends it's the word they want.

I don't get it either. But then, I'm the person who points out that "Caesar" is spelled wrong on the daily specials board, and no one seems to appreciate the heads-up.

I've been very persnickety lately about punctuation. I see entirely too many 's for plural for a society with compulsory education. As least the fad for putting quotes around everything for emphasis seems to have faded.

Spelling should count, but I don't think it does much any more. When I was at school, we were penalised in exams/essays for poor spelling and punctuation. By the time I was leaving, "the ideas expressed" were the most important thing, and bad spelling was not penalised. I don't agree with this. I also know from experience that primary school teachers are discouraged from correcting all their pupils' spelling mistakes, as too many corrections might damage the poor little child's self-esteem. Personally, I think this is ridiculous. If the spelling is not corrected, the child will assume it's right and will go on spelling the word incorrectly throughout its whole life.

I am a bit of a pedant in these matters - I can't bear to see apostrophes used incorrectly or your/you're mixed up. It drives me mad. :mad: In fact, just last week whilst out shopping, I saw the following sign: "Please do not lie on the display beds for safety reason's". Aaarggghh!

I can't bear to see apostrophes used incorrectly or your/you're mixed up.
My manager uses the incorrect versions of your/you're constantly. And she makes at least twice my salary. Where's the logic!? :mad:

sweetsymphony said:
My manager uses the incorrect versions of your/you're constantly. And she makes at least twice my salary. Where's the logic!? :mad:

Yes, I think salaries should be graded on spelling skills! :) Yay.

Some commonly misspelled words:

judgment, not judgement
separate, not seperate
harass, not harrass
bobbyburns, not bubbyboons :p

Is it okay if it isn't your primary language?
I sometimes look up the words in a dictionary if I'm in doubt about the spelling. As for the little annoying commas, I have no idea about how to use them in english, so I just guess.
I think that spelling is important and try to get it right, but sometimes it just slips and some errors get through. Would probably help if people read their things through when they finish writing.

hay82 said:
I sometimes look up the words in a dictionary if I'm in doubt about the spelling. As for the little annoying commas, I have no idea about how to use them in english, so I just guess.
I think that spelling is important and try to get it right, but sometimes it just slips and some errors get through. Would probably help if people read their things through when they finish writing.

Writing anything at all in a foreign language is a great accomplishment, Hay. You're excused for any and all glitches. Really.

Nothing irks me like bad spelling. I'd make a terrible teacher, knuckling every single one on the head until they sorted that goddamn spelling.

This post really grabbed my attention, because this is something that also gets under my skin. It's becoming a culture to spell things intentionally incorrectly, and it's reaching an extent where these 'errors' are becoming correct in their own way. Let me firstly state this is not about the occasional 'typo'. I, myself, rarely use a spell checker for everyday communication (emails, journal, posts). Nor does this extend to ebonics, which has a cultural identity similar to the cockney slang of England and should be appreciated as culturally significant. This is about a lack of punctuation and capitalisation, spelling errors that are incomprehensible, and the intentional misspelling of words (eg: u, anywun, kewl, kthks, wanna, etc).

In my opinion, the point of writing is to communicate. One respects the people with whom one is communicating by writing in such a way as to be easily understood. This includes punctuation, correct grammer, correct spelling and language which does not offend. Obviously the latter depends on your audience. It does seem, however, that the first three also are beginning to depend on the audience.

I have no problem with people engaging in their own brand of communication, and certainly having fun with words can be really enjoyable. However when it starts to become ingrained within the education of children, that's when I get concerned. I was marking first year university engineering assignments two years ago as a senior undergraduate student. I came across one in which the entire paper was written in 'text message prose'. I can think of no other way to describe it. Needless to say it did not receive a grade.

There seems little that can be done to prevent people communicating in these ways, and it is becoming a culture of it's own. I consider myself a very tolerant person when it comes to cultural diversity and freedom of speech etc. However I can't help but doubt someones intelligence and thus the quality of their ideas when they write in such ways.

I guess my message is this: communicate any way you will, however if you are writing something for an audience you do not know, or if you are trying to impress someone with your ideas, make sure that you use correct English.

I sincerely hope this doesn't offend - I am merely stating my concerns and my perceptions. I also want to stress that these comments do not extend towards people who are learning English, or those who have real difficulties with the language. In fact, my heart goes out to those learning English, as I am presently trying to learn French is some comprehensible way and there's grammer and spelling flying all over the shop! I am merely saying that when one is communicating, one should do it to the best of one's ability. The current trend appears to appeal to being 'cool', rather than being respectful of your audience.

novella said:
Writing anything at all in a foreign language is a great accomplishment, Hay. You're excused for any and all glitches. Really.
Yay, tanx a loth, tat es so nize too heer.

.. Bad joke Hay.. Bad joke.

hay82 said:

Wow, in the time I was writing my diatribe, some 7 or so messages popped up! (I took a while framing my venting). Hay 82 - I am so impressed by anyone who can speak fluently in more than one language. I still struggle in my only one! It never ceases to amaze me how well many non-native English speakers communicate in this language full of exceptions. I can only dream of doing so!! Much kudos to you!

Eugen said:
Naughty, Hay. Bad boy!
Had to do something to pass the time, while I await the day you are finaly in my arms. :)

And now I'm messing with Novella's thread. Sorry Novella :)

Kookamoor said:
I was marking first year university engineering assignments two years ago as a senior undergraduate student. I came across one in which the entire paper was written in 'text message prose'.

What a nightmare!!

I used to edit obscure technical papers on artificial intelligence (mostly neural networks and industrial/military applications) written by Chinese, Japanese, and Indian engineers and mathematicians. They were extremely conscientious about spelling and grammar but needed much help expressing their concepts accurately. They were fantastic to work with.

novella said:
I used to edit obscure technical papers on artificial intelligence (mostly neural networks and industrial/military applications)
It's not obscure ;)

I am concerned about the generation in their teens now due to text messaging. I send maybe 3-5 messages per day via text on my cell phone, and it really changes the way you communicate. Abbreviations are the norm, and certain words are used more as they are easier to type (short, and you don't have to use the same key for adjacent letters.) Punctuation is of course practically non-existent. I worry that we are encouraging a generation with a vocabulary of 500 words.

I love texting, it is a great way to communicate only the necessary info in short bursts without getting caught in a 30 minute conversation about picking up the drycleaning. I also love instant messaging (yahoo, aim, etc.), I find that I have more heartfelt, personal conversations that way than I do face to face. But it is definitely going to change the nature of language, and the direction I'm predicting is less variety and complexity. And that makes me sad.

Back