• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Does spelling still count?

hay82 said:
Is it okay if it isn't your primary language?

It certainly is. I have the greatest admiration for how well the people here who are not from English-speaking countries express themselves (sorry, that sentence was clumsy, but I hope you know what I mean. At least it was spelt correctly! :) ) It's the people who have English as their first language and still can't spell, punctuate or tell the difference between there/their/they're that bug me.

sweetsymphony said:
Misspelling and grammar laziness has always bothered me in any form, but especially since the birth of the spellchecker. I try to overlook it when it occurs; however, I am a perfectionist

I agree. But my guy is sooo bad at spelling. And I have better tolerance now for those things and do try my best to overlook misspellings. He's really more science & math oriented (physics major) and I have to be more understanding.

I also have to remember that most forums and instant messaging are pretty laid back and that I shouldn't expect too much from people when it comes down to grammar and spelling. (plus, i'm not all that perfect myself)

Ice said:
It's not obscure ;)

Actually, some of it was. I had one of the first journals dedicated to neural nets, and some of the submissions were way out there. Many crossed the line into biological observation and theory and others were only theoretical and completely impossible, which is why they were double-blind referee-ed.
This was back in 1987-88, when the first neural nets were finding applications.

Ah I didn't realise you were taking about work submitted 15 or so years ago - I have to say I found some of the old journals fascinating (especially the papers published in the 40's by McCullough & Pitts).

I am a maniac when it comes to spelling, in any which way it presents itself to me in my daily routines - emails, messageboards, blogging, texting, everything. That said, the occasional mistake will slip through, simply because it's not my mother tongue, but as soon as I see it (rereading my email, skimming over my posts here) I will not hesitate to use the edit-button, to get that bothersome mistake out of there.

However, to say that I deem people who make many spelling errors less intelligent would be a bit steep, in my opinion. I'm gonna do something right now that might turn 'round on me and bite me on the ass, but I don't care - I'm gonna name names here. Or a name -singular- to be exact.

Take SillyWabbit. He freely admits to having trouble with grammar and spelling, which, to be honest, is quite apparent when reading his posts. Does that make him a less intelligent person - hell no! I feel like I've gotten to know him over the years we've both been here on these boards, and it's safe to say that Martin (Wabbit) is an intelligent person. Very intelligent even. This is underlined by the fact that, on his blog, Wabbit writes in flawless English. When he gives himself some time to write, he writes perfectly.

And that's the entire point I'm trying to make. I feel like I have to say some more, but I simply don't know what. So I won't.

Cheers

Martin said:
... and it's safe to say that Martin (Wabbit) is an intelligent person. Very intelligent even.
He is??? Are you talking about the right person here? ;)

Yep - just don't tell him I said that. There'll be no living with him if he finds out.

Not that I live with him. Ah, whatever.

Cheers

I don't think it's down to stupidity at all! Everyone online can access an online dictionary.

It's really just saying I DON'T GIVE A TURD ABOUT CORRECT SPELLING. It's a lifestyle choice, one that I don't happen to like.

PS to Ice: ah, McCullough and Pitts. I haven't heard those names conjoined for quite a while. Memories light the corners of my mind, misty watercolor memories of sitting in an office with mounds of paper cooking on the hot wheels of the dim sum cart of my heart. . .

It's a lifestyle choice, is it?

I'm going to have to disagree here (and not just for the sake of the argument). Take Wabbit again (sorry Wabbit!). Like I said, on his blog his spelling and grammar are flawless, so e is capable of doing it right.

I think it's the entire concept of message boards which are to blame here (if blame must be asigned) - On message boards such as the one you are on presently, it's all about reacting - you react to messages you read. When reacting, you're not going to think hard and long about spelling, or you'll lose the point you intended to make. This is especially the case when said person already has trouble with proper spelling/punctuation/grammar/etc.

Cheers

bobbyburns said:
what are you people, the english language police?

That's right, son. Now simmer down. No one is prosecuting petty offenses like missing hyphens. It's your lucky day.

cue Dragnet theme

hay82 said:
Had to do something to pass the time, while I await the day you are finaly in my arms. :)
Oh, Hay! (batting lashes)

(minutes later) I think finaly is double LL. Spelling, remember?

i am one of the worst offenders. partially because i am lazy and partially because i was in french immersion for 12 years and so many times i am unsure of the correct spelling, which again goes back to being to lazy to check.
i apologize, but don't see myself correcting it. sorry.

novella said:
I don't think it's down to stupidity at all! Everyone online can access an online dictionary.

It's really just saying I DON'T GIVE A TURD ABOUT CORRECT SPELLING. It's a lifestyle choice, one that I don't happen to like.

No its not. Its a consequence of the way most people like to use message boards like these. Once you start spellchecking and looking up on the online dictionary for every post you loose a lot of the fun in using a message board. Most people will spend more time with the dictionary when writing something serious. On a message board you often want to respond quickly. I dont like l33t talk and txt talk on a forum, but some spelling errors because you write quickly dont bother me at all.

Not to mention that on most forums there are a lot of people not using their native language (myself included).

Eugen said:
(minutes later) I think finaly is double LL. Spelling, remember?
Well that is just the best way to destroy the romantic atmosphere I had created. I'll just go to my bed and cry now. :(

No its not. Its a consequence of the way most people like to use message boards like these. Once you start spellchecking and looking up on the online dictionary for every post you loose a lot of the fun in using a message board. Most people will spend more time with the dictionary when writing something serious. On a message board you often want to respond quickly. I dont like l33t talk and txt talk on a forum, but some spelling errors because you write quickly dont bother me at all.
I think I said that, didn't I? Good to see someone agreeing with me. :)

Cheers

Back