• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Does Such A Dictionary Exist?

BocLiss

I am looking for something in-between a pocket sized and full sized dictionary. Ideally, I would like something to keep on hand while reading that is not a huge hardback, yet has the content of a "collegiate" dictionary. I was thinking that something like this would exist, but I have been unable to find it.

I've looked at several paperback pocket dictionaries, but they do not have enough content. It seems like all of the small or medium sized dictionaries are printed on regular "paperback" paper, which limits the number of pages (and words) they are able to contain. I am hoping that there is something compact out there that is printed on dictionary (or Bible) type paper that will have more content. Any suggestions?

The Pocket Oxford English Dictionary is pretty good. It comes in a hardcover, is larger than pocket-sized, and has good coverage. It doesn't have much etymology, though, but you can't have everything. If you don't mind the Anglo spelling, it's a better reference than those crappy Webster paperbacks.

I want a a full sized, leave out no words, Oxford English Dictionary. Oh, and while I'm splurging on the book, I want a nice stand to rest it on too. This stand should be equiped with a mehanical arm with a hand to reach out an stop an overly enthusiastic, but klutzy kid from tearing pages or dripping food and drink on my investment. I'm not asking too much am I?

Thanks for the quick replies. I actually bought an Oxford Pocket Dictionary a couple of years ago, but returned it the next day after failing to find (if I remember correctly) the word "palfrey". Come on! "Palfrey"?!?! As I remember, the Oxford font was fairly large which limited the number of words. The best I've found so far in the paperback pocket size is the American Heritage Dictionary, but unfortunately it didn't pass the "thaumaturge" test the other night...:p

BocLiss said:
Thanks for the quick replies. I actually bought an Oxford Pocket Dictionary a couple of years ago, but returned it the next day after failing to find (if I remember correctly) the word "palfrey". Come on! "Palfrey"?!?! As I remember, the Oxford font was fairly large which limited the number of words. The best I've found so far in the paperback pocket size is the American Heritage Dictionary, but unfortunately it didn't pass the "thaumaturge" test the other night...:p

It IS frustrating trying to find a good dictionary. My test word is abecedarian. I found it in a dictionary my mom gave me for Christmas when I was in the 6th grade. It was one of those huge ones that cause tummy aches, but it couldn't have been too expensive, and probably came from a K-mart or TG&Y store because there was only one or two bookstores in Wichita at the time, and my mom didn't shop there. Like you, I think a dictionary ought to have practically every word in the English language. I can't imagine one without a fairly common word like "palfry".

Back