• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Donald Miller: Blue Like Jazz

abecedarian

I'm just starting Blue Like Jazz, so thought I'd see if anyone wanted to discuss it. Funny how this book keeps popping up around me. My oldest dd was the first to mention it when she requested from the library. They couldn't send it, and dd#2 bought it, and after she and the other dd read it, my dh read it. As it was coming to me, I found that curiouswonder reccomended it too. Then Sunday, I was talking to a college student home for the weekend, and he mentioned reading it recently as well. So, now it's my turn..

abecedarian said:
I'm just starting Blue Like Jazz, so thought I'd see if anyone wanted to discuss it. Funny how this book keeps popping up around me. My oldest dd was the first to mention it when she requested from the library. They couldn't send it, and dd#2 bought it, and after she and the other dd read it, my dh read it. As it was coming to me, I found that curiouswonder reccomended it too. Then Sunday, I was talking to a college student home for the weekend, and he mentioned reading it recently as well. So, now it's my turn..

I'm in. It's about time to read it again.

I"m about half-way through the book this morning, and wondering how to talk about a book about Christian spirituality within the constraints of this forum. I can say I see why so many people are drawn to this book and to Donald Miller. His ability to see spiritual connections in seemingly small details remind me of Rich Mullins. So too does his practical applications of those insights. If this copy of Blue Like Jazz were mine, I'd be passing it along to a few people in my church who I think might be up to the challenge..My dh said this book might make me feel dissatisfied with church..and I see where that might be true. Miller addresses the feelings of people who are sick of "church as we know it."

I finished Blue Like Jazz the other day, and I wish I had the money to give copies to everyone I know. I see what my dh meant about the book making him dissatisfied with "church." Even though we aren't as free to move about like Don Miller, I found plenty to use in my own life. I really liked Miller's reminder that "Jesus isn't a Republican!" SHHH! Don't tell Pat Robertson:rolleyes:

I read Blue Like Jazz just recently. This book has made me think more than any other piece of writing has. I love the way Donald Miller is so personable in his books, it makes it much easier to connect on a personal level with him. I'm reading Searching For God Knows What by Donald Miller as of right, and it's just as good.

Yes, six years later than the previous post, I too read Blue Like Jazz recently. I was intrigued by the subtitle, "Nonreligious thoughts on Christian spirituality."

Now that I have read the book, that subtitle seems a little canny and not quite the way I would have put it. I would shift the emphasis and say it is more like "Spiritual thoughts on Christian teaching," because it is deliberately a spiritually inspirational book which is centered around what believers might call the transforming power of unconditional love. Which, I know, is not exclusively a Christian concept, but nevertheless "the church" is the point of departure from which the author distances himself for its alleged judgmental attitudes and mindlessly repetitive formulaic worship services -- not to mention its alleged Republican partisan posture. And which he uses as a springboard for his basic spiritual insights.

The author also asserts there is more to life than just existing in the material world. But he does himself no good when, in passing, he asserts as example that "scientists don't understand light, light just is," (a close paraphrase). That is an assertion I especially balk at.

But these are small disagreements with a book whose overall narrative is the story of the author's own internal and external spiritual journey, from teen-age guilt and shame to, finally, a more mature spiritual understanding and a constructive posture toward living a positive and productive spiritual life. Along the way the author provides chapters entitled Beginnings, Problems, Faith, Redemption, Grace, Change, Belief, Confession, Community, Money, Worship and others. In many ways the book resembles The Confessions of St. Augustine in its particular topics and spiritual journey. Also along the way, the author describes the views of the world he sees through his own eyes and tells the stories of his interactions with many people who are also seeking meaning in life.

I found the book to be informative and educational and, yes, inspiring too.

It was informative and entertaining to read of the students and environment at Reed College which, according even to the staid Wikipedia description, sounds like a rather free-wheeling place. Informal motto: "Communism, Atheism, Free Love."

It was educational in providing new insights into previously familiar passages from the Bible, especially Paul's paean to love.

And yes it was inspiring to me in its connection of its message to the real world and how one can be a more positive force for good in this world.

Back