• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Donald T. Phillips:Lincoln on leadership

SFG75

I just finished this book tonight. I would have to say that I really recommend it, it was definitely a worth while read. A few tidbits:

*Never stop trying to find your "Grant"
-Lincoln had to persevere through generals who were either incompetent or simply unable to take the offensive. He would give them full power to make their own decisions and then encourage them. When they faltered, he would reduce their workload, and then if they continue to falter, have them dismissed. Winfield Scott, Irvin McDowell, and George McClellan would all have a chance to do their best for the boss, all failed until Grant was finally discovered and promoted.

*Never make decisions out of anger or spite
-Lincoln holds the record for the most pardons. A 16 year old who ran from the front lines was to be executed for his actions. Lincoln signed his appeal with: "let it be done" and got the kid off of the hook. Lincoln is known to have written letters in haste, only to hold on to them until a cooler head prevailed.

*Be a leader who is led
-Got a problem between subordinates? Put everyone in the room, bring up the subject, and let 'em sort it out. Lincoln did exactly that between Samuel P. Chase and William Seward. The former had to back down and support Seward and ultimately gave his resignation over a secret bad mouthing campaign against Seward that Chase was behind.

This book was an excellent read, I highly recommend it. :star4:

Back