• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Douglas Adams, John Lloyd: The Meaning Of Liff

Puddleglum

One of the funniest and bizarrest books ever. Basically a dictionary of place names given obscure meanings for things that have no word in every day language. If you don't laugh at some of them you have no soul!

I don't think that link's entirely legal.

The Meaning of Liff (or The Deeper Meaning of Liff) is a fun book though.

Puddleglum said:
If you don't laugh at some of them you have no soul!

A guy in work had this in recently and was literally pissing himself at the descriptions, often reading them aloud so that we all got the "benefit" of them. I must have no soul as I didn't find it to be particularly funny.

I have a sense of humour. I just didn't find the randomness of it to be very funny. Now, if they had used the place names and tried to fit an explanation around that based on the sound and rhythm of the place names then it would have been funny. As it is, it's just a list of random place names with a completely unrelated description beside it.

Fair enough that I sniggered at a few descriptions having experience of the situations described therein but the place names didn't fit so it wasn't, in my opinion, funny.

I find it hard to find comedy in writing unless, of course, I'm reading quotes by Groucho Marx or there's some serious wordplay being performed.

Back