• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Dragonlance- please look at this thread!

Fistandantilus

I started a Dragonlance thread the day after I joined and It had a grand total of 0 replies. I think the dragonlance books are great fantasy; full of interesting charcters, imaginative lands and even some humour. My favourite character is Raistlin.

Please talk about the books here!!!

I've never even heard of these books. Sorry, I cannot have a chat with you about them. Maybe I'll give them a try!

yes. try The Chronicles Trilogy, it starts with Dragons Of Autumn Twighlight, it is the best trilogy and if you go from there to the Legends, it will make more sense.

I've read the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy and the Dhamon Saga (trilogy). I haven't read any other books because I can never find all the books to complete a set, not at the bookstore or at the library.

I'll have to buy them online if I want to read more.

Everyone else hates Dhamon but I liked him. I like the big brooding barbarian types.

I have 9 Dragonlance books. I got eight in the same charity shop over the space of about three months and the ninth came from ebay :D

I don't likr to post, just to say I don't like something so I'll be short - I absolutely think that within the Dragonlance series you will find soem of the worst examples of fantasy ever written,, and that Weiss and Hickman are if not the msot overated authors in the entire genre, they are certainly among them. The Death Gate Cycle was perhaps one of the worst series I have ever read.

All that said, people certainly have different tatses.

The Death Gate Cycle a bad series?! I tremendously enjoyed that series. Immensely tremendously fantastically! I haven't read anytyhing from their Dragonlance books though. I'm really rather stunned someone didn't like The Death Gate Cycle....Maybe you don't actually like Fantasy Ainulindale? ;)

BTW to the poster, adding 'please look at this thread' to a topic title is a fast way to get a post deleted on the forums I moderate. A topic either has merit for discussion at that time and place or it doesn't. Pleading for people to look is poor netiquette. Of course I do not speak for anyone else but myself here.

I've a mind to try them, but then they do seem to overwhelm the non-D&D reader to the point I'm afraid to pick up the wrong book and start in the middle of something instead of the beginning. I love sword and sorcery, and I've read a lot of fantasy, but not these.

I enjoyed the computer games based on AD&D, though, notably the Baldur's Gate series and Neverwinter Nights.

ds

direstraits said:
I've a mind to try them, but then they do seem to overwhelm the non-D&D reader to the point I'm afraid to pick up the wrong book and start in the middle of something instead of the beginning. I love sword and sorcery, and I've read a lot of fantasy, but not these.

In order:

Dragon Wing
Elven Star
Fire Sea
Serpent Mage
The Hand of Chaos
Into The Labrinth
The Seventh Gate

As far as I know these books are independent of the Dragonlance series. But I've never read a Dragonlance book.

Maybe you don't actually like Fantasy Ainulindale?

Admitedly, I don't like deriviative, formulaic, fantasy whose authors show no growth after years to practice their craft - who still render their stories in a prose fitting of some coloring books.

The Death Gate Cycle has a permanent place in my top 50 worst fantasy series ever.

I enjoyed some of the Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms around junior high time which is kind of the targeted age for the books IMO. Even then I remember getting kind of bored with invincible heroes and bumbling baddies. Nothing wrong with them as a way to get kids reading but there are so many excellent books out there I can't really see myself revisting them.

As far as the Death Gate Cycle goes I enjoyed parts of the first book but never made it out of the second. Just got a little too silly for me, I guess.

ions said:
In order:

Dragon Wing
Elven Star
Fire Sea
Serpent Mage
The Hand of Chaos
Into The Labrinth
The Seventh Gate
ions, thanks, but I meant I can get lost in the tons of AD&D/Dragonlance books, not the Death Gate Cycle books. I myself have Dragon Wing sitting around here somewhere, but I've never gotten around to reading it.

ds

Just a note for fans of Weis and Hickman's Dragonlance work (I'm sure you alkeady know), but they are currently writing a new series featuring there old popular characters Raistlin etc.

direstraits said:
ions, thanks, but I meant I can get lost in the tons of AD&D/Dragonlance books, not the Death Gate Cycle books. I myself have Dragon Wing sitting around here somewhere, but I've never gotten around to reading it.

ds

Ahh yeah I feel the same way. No idea where to start. I searched the Web half heartedly for some sort of list or info that would give me an idea but didn't look long and found nothing.

Ainulindale said:
I don't likr to post, just to say I don't like something so I'll be short - I absolutely think that within the Dragonlance series you will find soem of the worst examples of fantasy ever written,, and that Weiss and Hickman are if not the msot overated authors in the entire genre, they are certainly among them. The Death Gate Cycle was perhaps one of the worst series I have ever read.

All that said, people certainly have different tatses.

I am referring to Dragonlance, not The Death Gate books, Ainulindale

I am referring to Dragonlance, not The Death Gate books, Ainulindale

I am aware of that - I think they are both pretty dire, I was just mentioning Deathgate to stress that I don't Weiss and Hickman aren't very good writers in or out of there shared world setting. As noted by this statement I said:

I don't like to post, just to say I don't like something so I'll be short - I absolutely think that within the Dragonlance series you will find somw of the worst examples of fantasy ever written

Ainulindale said:
I am aware of that - I think they are both pretty dire, I was just mentioning Deathgate to stress that I don't Weiss and Hickman aren't very good writers in or out of there shared world setting. As noted by this statement I said:
Out of curiosity, what is it you really dislike the most about them? I've only read a few Dragonlance books and, while I never thought they'd be award winning stories, they were entertaining. It's been a few years but I don't recall them being travesties of contemporary writing :D

ions said:
Ahh yeah I feel the same way. No idea where to start. I searched the Web half heartedly for some sort of list or info that would give me an idea but didn't look long and found nothing.

Dragonlance Nexus - this site has a lot of information on deciding what order to read the books. I would read through once before checking out any of the links. If you scroll down a bit there is a suggested order for reading - at least a very good starting point.

Hope this helps anyone interested in reading the Dragonlance books.

Back