• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

E-book reader?

goblin1

kickbox
Hi all,

Newbie here.

I'm in the market for a decent e-book reader. My budget's about £200, I can stretch to a bit more if necessary. I've stumbled across this - ramblax.co.uk/p~p-98791973.aspx - and was wondering if anyone here had any opinions on it?

Thanks in advance!

That one - the Cybook Opus - is my personal favourite of the ones I've tried so far. Easy to handle, very lightweight, nice screen, handles the most common formats (outside Amazon), etc. If all you're looking for is an e-book reader with no frills whatsoever (it doesn't have any sort of wireless connection, for instance), it's excellent.

Sounds like you've made up your mind, but I'm going to stick my oar in just on the off chance that you're still looking. I just got a Nook wifi edition from Barnes and Noble and I'm very pleased so far. The wifi edition costs $149 USD plus tax, and I paid $30 for a cover. The box includes a wall charger and a USB cable for syncing with your computer. I chose the nook mainly because it supports Adobe EPUB format, which means I can borrow e-books from my library for free. I can purchase and download B&N e-books through the device over wifi, but I don't expect to use that feature often. I usually don't buy books unless I'm traveling and end up in a bind with nothing to read. The Nook comes with 1.28 gigabytes of internal storage, and an expansion slot for a micro-SD card. At about 2 megabytes per book, that's a lot of storage, probably far more than I'll ever use. The device supports bookmarks and searching for words or phrases within a book. You can also play MP3's through headphones if you're into that, and it has a rudimentary and rather clunky web browser. I haven't tested those features. I was originally intrigued by the Kindle, but $400 was way too expensive, and I read far too many books to consider buying everything I read. I waited until a viable lending library solution existed and device prices dropped to what I consider reasonable. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the device.

Sounds like you've made up your mind, but I'm going to stick my oar in just on the off chance that you're still looking. I just got a Nook wifi edition from Barnes and Noble and I'm very pleased so far. The wifi edition costs $149 USD plus tax, and I paid $30 for a cover. The box includes a wall charger and a USB cable for syncing with your computer. I chose the nook mainly because it supports Adobe EPUB format, which means I can borrow e-books from my library for free. I can purchase and download B&N e-books through the device over wifi, but I don't expect to use that feature often. I usually don't buy books unless I'm traveling and end up in a bind with nothing to read. The Nook comes with 1.28 gigabytes of internal storage, and an expansion slot for a micro-SD card. At about 2 megabytes per book, that's a lot of storage, probably far more than I'll ever use. The device supports bookmarks and searching for words or phrases within a book. You can also play MP3's through headphones if you're into that, and it has a rudimentary and rather clunky web browser. I haven't tested those features. I was originally intrigued by the Kindle, but $400 was way too expensive, and I read far too many books to consider buying everything I read. I waited until a viable lending library solution existed and device prices dropped to what I consider reasonable. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about the device.

I think OP is in the UK. Is the Nook available int he UK?

I heard the amazon kindle was great... it's only $189 now. Never tried it, but I did see one... it looked like a neat toy.

I have a kindle (international - I'm in Oz). When I bought mine there weren't any other e-book options here in Australia. I am delighted with my kindle and I don't think I am going to run out of books to read on it any time soon. I have now seen some other book readers and I am not as impressed with the quality of them. They feel a bit more cheaply made and not as sturdy as the kindle.

I'm tempted to try, especially with some of the really fat, heavy books I usually avoid b/c of their bulk. Wish the things were free :)

I'm tempted to try, especially with some of the really fat, heavy books I usually avoid b/c of their bulk. Wish the things were free :)

War & Peace would be nice to read on an e-Book reader.

I wouldn't be surprised if the prices plummet in the next 3 years.

I got a kindle for graduating college. It's pretty cool because I can get all the classic books for free, but it sucks that new books cost virtually the same price, so I might as well just buy the hard copies since I can get 30 percent off at borders with their coupons.

I got a kindle for graduating college. It's pretty cool because I can get all the classic books for free, but it sucks that new books cost virtually the same price, so I might as well just buy the hard copies since I can get 30 percent off at borders with their coupons.

Never thought of it that way. Grats on graduating college.

I think there are rumors of authors trying to strike out on their own w/o the pesky publishers.

I think there are rumors of authors trying to strike out on their own w/o the pesky publishers.

I can see the appeal of someone wanting to do that but, short of spamming forums, how are they going to promote their 1s and 0s without a publisher or their name to promote their wares?

I can see the appeal of someone wanting to do that but, short of spamming forums, how are they going to promote their 1s and 0s without a publisher or their name to promote their wares?

People say blogging helps, but who knows. It really depends on what your goals are. I self published to get the physical book, my main goal is to make the money back ... to get the story out there. Word of mouth works wonders sometimes, but people also need to be realistic. If you're not trying to count on the writing for your bread and water, then promotion becomes less of a problem for you.

It's really who you know in this world.

I see established authors being able to do what Radiohead did and do a direct release themselves and cut out the publisher. New and not as popular authors will not fare so well since they aren't known.

I used to think in terms of a price point for when I would purchase one. Now I'm waiting for the shakeout.

I'm on the Internet right now because of a free CD from ATT that arrived in my mailbox many many years ago. How's that for a price point?

Back