• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

e-reader glitches that tick you off

SFG75

My short list

**When the e-reader is low and you receive the "pop up" that you need to plug in for more juice.

**When you access the kindle store and the connection doesn't go through

**When you first try to create your account and set up your stuff on the kindle

**When the book you ordered is not there in under 10 seconds

**When you can't find the $&$#*& thing.

O.K.,.....switching to decaf for the night. Ya'lls turn.

• Not reading the metadata.

• Not being able to sort books how I want via the metadata.

• The popup thing - why not just have a permanent battery display like all sensible devices?

• metadata, metadata, metadata - yup it seriously annoys me. All that time spent renaming and sorting the books into series etc - down the tube.

1. A lack of sensible sorting of books (although I have found one that is better yay)

2. Bad bad page turning, some of then it is such a pain to turn the page

3. Not finding books when I know I have loaded them.

4. Not excepting all formats

That is s few of my complaints about Book readers :) I am sure that I will think of some more lol :p

PDF handling on most readers (I mean specifically handheld readers, either ebook readers or smartphones, excepting tablets) are crap. Most don't do reflow, and those that do tend to do them poorly, especially for PDFs that already have fancy formatting in place.

PDFs on Kindles are painful.

You all are supposed to be convincing me I want an e-reader, threads like this scare me. I need techy things to be simple or I get frustrated and break em :shifty

You all are supposed to be convincing me I want an e-reader, threads like this scare me. I need techy things to be simple or I get frustrated and break em :shifty
Ronny, I just downloaded the entire library of Sherlock Holmes story to my Kindle for free, by just sending the attachment as an attachment to my Kindle account. If you're already an Amazon user, you will be amazed at how prone you are to accidentally buying ebooks.

It's easy as heck. If you're not techie you wouldn't be putting PDFs on your Kindle anyway, so problem solved.

Wait, another solution: stop reading this thread, and go read the other ones where we swoon over our new toy! :D

We may complain about E-Books and readers but we can't do without them and would never get rid of them :p

Two years ago I was determined never to use an ereader. Then the kids got DH a Kindle for his birthday, and it was all over. Even Prime shipping isn't fast enough for me anymore, if I can get it NOW.

Yeah yeah I know. We moan, but we wouldn't go without. I was hooked the first time I held one in my hand. Font yucky or impossibly small? Just change it in your settings. Carry your entire library with you in one small device so that you are never without a book to read - BLISS!

But there are still some things I prefer them to have, or not have :)

My hubby has been wanting to get me one for years now but I've held out due to my fear of gadgets. I do have an app on my IPhone and keep a few on there encase of emergencies but it is problably time to give a real e-reader a shot :)

oh no you can't compare reading on your phone with an e-reader. With paper white text its like reading a book. I know some people don't like a lit screen, but if you like reading in bed at night I'd recommend you at least consider it. All the traditional hassles of providing a light in bed for a book apply to e-readers.

With a back light is better truly, I read on my Tablet and I can say that I will never get a reader that dose not have a back light. It is so useful to have, there are just times when it is so convenient to have it on. Reading at night or in the evenings is just one example.

My only real gripe is that I don't think there is a way to turn of the advertising on my kindle. For instance when it is laying on my desk at work and filling the screen is an ad for some romance novel with a shirtless pirate kissing some chick with her lady parts spilling out of her shirt. And my boss walks up and says, "What are you reading??"

lol that could be a problem. Might be why I don't have a device thats linked to a seller like that.

You all will laugh, but I have a first gen Kobo wireless (now discontinued). I still love it even though it's very slow loading (takes 8 - 10 secs to open a large book like Game of Thrones), only shows the most rudimentary of graphics, has a clunky button for page turning (yep, no swipe function), and is not the prettiest thing. But I'll keep using it until it craps out and/or someone buys me a new one. It's easy on my eyes and I prefer it to large books when I'm reading in bed.

I do the same Ell, I have an IPod that was one of the first, it's like a brick compared to the new ones but I love it and it still works :)

Back