• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Edgar Wallace

I am a big fan of Edgar Wallace and I hope there are other Edgar Wallace fans on these forums. What do you think of his books?

Personally I consider Edgar Wallace to be one of the greatest crime fiction writers of the 20th century.

Just started Edgar Wallace's
The Four Just Men.His first of 200 thrillers written in 1920. Great success. Got two books from the library today Bullitt. by Robert L. Pike. Made into a film staring, Steve McQueen.
And CSI Miami. Jeff Mariotte. The basis for a TV thriller series.

I think that if there should be classics in detective fiction, Edgar Wallace should rank along with Conan Doyle, Wilkie Collins, and Edgar Allan Poe as the first in the line of crime writers.
Reading The Four Just Men now, and just recieved in the post The Ringer.

Reading another Edgar Wallace novel. The Feathered Serpent. This was published in 1932 but could have been written yesterday. Just as fresh as ever. Wallace wrote 175 novels and 160 were made into films.
No other writter has been this popular to my knowledge.As it says on the cover of the book. It is impossible not to be thrilled by Edgar Wallace.
All his thrillers are very fast paced, and about 200 pages long. A quick and thrilling read.

Just bought from amazon.com. An Edgar Wallace novel, The Mind of J.G. Reeder. I'm sure this has been made into a film at one time. Looking forward to reading it after I have finished my Terry Pratchett novel.

I loved The Four Just Men - pretty much a perfect thriller: to the point, engaging, a central mystery that isn't revealed until the very last page. And that's bloody ingenious. The Crimson Circle's got a great little howdunit: gas bubbles of heavier-than-air poison gas. The Law of the Just Men is a collection of shorts featuring the (now Three) Just Men (actually, there are only two in that one), although it isn't as ingenious.

Just because it's a century old, don't mean it's outdated.

Back