• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Editing...

Gem

kickbox
I'm realising more and more just how important editing is, but sometimes i end up editing a piece so much, that it ends up worse then how it started. So I was wondering whether anyone had any tips for effective editing......

Gem said:
I'm realising more and more just how important editing is, but sometimes i end up editing a piece so much, that it ends up worse then how it started. So I was wondering whether anyone had any tips for effective editing......
The best editing comes from setting aside what you are working on... for a month, maybe longer (like six months), and then editing at this much later time with a red pen in hand.

This is a must. Time creates separation. your work will read much differently if you haven't seen it for a while. I am currently letting my novel ferment before I begin the tedium of editing and rewriting.

Motokid makes a good suggestion. Have someone read your writing to you aloud. I have not done this, but it seems that hearing the words would reveal any pitfalls you may have overlooked.

Also, you could start by using a 'z' instead of an 's'! (daggone Brits!) :D

Editing should be somewhat focussed. You should have kind of a checklist in your head, watching out for problems with dialogue, and a lot of other things. You might want to go through a piece several times, focussing on different style points each time; or focussing on problem passages one at a time, instead of sweeping through the whole piece.

If you feel that you are making a piece worse when you revise, you might want to step back and review your writing techniques in general. As I'm sure you know, if anything is going to be crappy, it should be the first draft, not later drafts. Therefore, I suggest you follow this reading program:

http://forums.thebookforum.com/showthread.php?t=6691

Good luck.

A couple editing ideas:

1) To catch silly spelling mistakes, read the entire work backwards, word for word. It won't make much sense, but you'll catch some surprisingly stupid mistakes, especially if you have problems with "their/there/they're" or similar confusions (an elementary school teacher taught me this one).

2) Comb through each paragraph. Delete any word, sentence (or the entire paragraph, for that matter) that does not contribute anything meaningful to your writing. You may find yourself deleting entire pages or chapters...

3) Remove adverbs and replace them with stronger verbs. Underline or circle each of those nasty "-ly" words and get them outta there (Stephen King advice).

4) Along the lines of #2 above, make sure the characters used in your work are contributing to the story, or even necessary at all.

5) You should spend at least twice as much time editing as you do writing, unless you have indeed mastered your language.

Just a couple tidbits...

Aside from the good advice given here, I would say the most important thing a writer can do is to open up to criticism, relax, and learn not to take it personally.

Let someone whose advice you respect read your writing and then listen to what they say. Don't defend your work against their criticism or try to explain why they don't 'get' it. Just take it in and let it flow over you and think about it. You don't have to agree or disagree, just take it in and let it gel.

Sometimes readers hit on something or sense something but don't know how to express the problem right. You have to figure out what's not working based on what they perceive.

It's important to get past the notion that every utterance you commit to paper is precious and profound. If something isn't working, just let it go. Keep things you're not sure of in a Discards file.

I would also say that reading good writing very closely will help you. When you read something you really like, try to figure out what makes it work for you. I always try to notice what authors leave out, as opposed to what they put in.

Just a quick thanks for everyones great advice, I can't even begin to say how much its helped me.

Sirmyk, I put my writing aside, and after three weeks I just reread one piece today and immediately spotted half a dozen changes that needed to be made. The good thing is that I knew exactly what i was going to change it to, i haven't felt so confident with my 'changes' before.

Mari, your links were great, thanks :)

Novella, your criticism advice is spot on. I've also created a discard folder - though i've only filled it mentally at the moment, as i've taken a break from writing.

Leckert, my friend is a teacher who during the summer break has been running a reading/creative club for some of her students. She gave some of my work for them to read. One of her new students, an american kid commented 'She got her S's mixed up with her Z's'. Reminded me of you. :)

leckert said:
Motokid makes a good suggestion. Have someone read your writing to you aloud. I have not done this, but it seems that hearing the words would reveal any pitfalls you may have overlooked.

Thanks for the credit leckert....another air ph'd for you buddy.....

You hear different then you read...and somebody else reading will not know the inflections you intend, and it should help you "hear" the passages that a complete stranger might struggle with.....

That is a good tip, I always read my work out loud but when i get one of my nephews to di it then its much more helpful.

Another good practice is to keep a discard document handy... a place to stash all those removed, rewritten, or otherwise modified parts of your work. One... they're fun to read down the line; two...you can always find a home for them elseware, especially those longer cuts.

Does anyone here edit 'on the go'? By that I mean writing a paragraph or something, and then editing it, instead of doing 500 or 1000 or so words and then editing.

CDA said:
Does anyone here edit 'on the go'? By that I mean writing a paragraph or something, and then editing it, instead of doing 500 or 1000 or so words and then editing.
I can spend hours on a single paragraph, not caring about tallies.

Stewart said:
I can spend hours on a single paragraph, not caring about tallies.

Does it not slow things down too much? I think it slows me down a bit too much, which is why i was asking. Do you never worry about total wordcount in a writing session?

CDA said:
Does it not slow things down too much?

Not for me. I want to make sure that each word adds to the overall tone, that there is sufficient use of simile, metaphor, alliteration, consonance, and assonance. I know I'm not writing poetry but I like purple prose when done well. I'll also watch for whether words chosen reflect the character's viewpoint.

Do you never worry about total wordcount in a writing session?

No. I'm in no hurry to produce something. Nobody is expecting anything from me.

I rewrite as I write.

If I feel I am getting too hung up on a particular part, I will mark it and come back to it. Usually, though, I can pretty much get through a particular scene or passage or event in a clip. Once I have emptied my brain, I save and go away. When I come back I start by reading what I last wrote. I also use the "Comments" feature of Word to make notes to myself for the next session.

I don't do any "hard core" editing, though, until I am done. Typos and misspellings I change on the fly, but restructuring and timeline stuff, I do later.

I like to leave it as long as possible before going back and editing something, that way I read it with fresh eyes, so to speak. And talking of speaking, that's when I also read it aloud, which usually helps me spot mistakes. Things often sound right in my head, but when said aloud, the mistakes become apparent.

Back