• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Education & E-readers

SFG75

Teacher to use e-readers for reading assignments

One of the biggest headaches for Lincoln Southwest High School reading teacher Mindy Wright is students who regularly have their noses stuck in their cellphones and MP3 players rather than their books.
So Wright decided to embrace the enemy.

"I felt that they are so into those devices," she said. "What if we had reading devices?"

Wright, who facilitates the classes for Southwest students who don't read at grade level and have not passed their reading graduation demonstration exams, applied for a $5,000 grant from the National Education Association Foundation to buy 31 Nooks and 33 e-books. Students must pass the demonstration exam to graduate.

Problems:
-Too many mp3s and Ipods
-Tactile learners want to keep their hands busy
-Students can't afford e-readers

Solutions
-New policy: If you use it, you lose it. Parents pick it up from principal.
-Tactile learners?, flip the pages, it's just as tacticle
-Wah

I don't doubt that e-readers are a good thing, I just don't like the reasons presented in this article for them. I'm not impressed.

That's a flimsy excuse to get e-readers. I'm sure they are useful but as most schools struggle with budgetary problems, I don't think this is a good idea. Also, if the iPhones, iPods, other electronic devices are that bothersome to her, just confiscate them already.

That's a flimsy excuse to get e-readers. I'm sure they are useful but as most schools struggle with budgetary problems, I don't think this is a good idea. Also, if the iPhones, iPods, other electronic devices are that bothersome to her, just confiscate them already.

I can see the e-mail to the principal now:

To: Principal Harder Rear

RE:Ipods!

Mr. H. Rear,

This is SO not LOL! OMG!, they are txting again....Oh....brb....SOS. K...Imma back. Take care o this plz.
-FT

I can see the e-mail to the principal now:

LOL that's more likely to be the letter of complaint from the pupil who didn't pass bcz they didn't get an e-reader!

dEr Principal Toffee,

I wnt 2 complain cuz I didn't paS d reading exam cuz I didn't git an e-reader. Tcha Fluffy Muff hates me & wiL not lt me uz my tablet n claS so I c%d not tAk nOtz.

Back