• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Edward Rutherfurd

muggle said:
I have never heard of such a thing as libraries charging for the books, that is terrible. We have 7 libraries in our system scattered among the different towns and they constantly transport books from one to the other without any charge. I have 14 musical CD's on hold at the library and they are coming from the different libraries...no charge. I also asked the library recently if they would purchase the 2 CD set of The Buddy Holly Collection and the CD Legendary Songs of Don McLean and they put the order in within a couple days......I am waiting for the CD's to come in.:)
I really don't know why we are charged for what I took to be mandatory services for libraries. I only found out this year that they charged for holds, and I was a bit disgusted, to be honest. If basically every other library there is can do this for free, then surely ours can too. Just another way for them to make more money, though, I guess :rolleyes:

MonkeyCatcher said:
Well, they also charge for holds and for transporting books from one of their libraries in other towns, so it doesn't really surprise me :rolleyes:
Our local libraries charge to reserve and transport books, however they do not charge you when you take them out on loan.

I have The Princes of Ireland The book started of good, I got into the story and was very excited, then it jumps to generations ahead of the family I was reading about and totaly threw me off.

I have'nt picked it up again.

I remember reading Sarum years and years ago and not liking it much. I wish I could remember the details of why, but I think it was that he didn't seem to me to catch the atmosphere of some of the historical periods as well as he could have. Mind you, that book was a heck of an undertaking, and it was quite informative. I just had really high expectations of it and it didn't quite live up to them.

I read Sarum and London quite a while ago and enjoyed both very much, although both had "lulls" that were not as interesting, but it always improved and all in all I was happy with them. I have several more in my TBR stack. Someday, yes someday.

Back