• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Edward St. Aubyn: Mother's Milk

novella

I finished Mother’s Milk by Edward St. Aubyn a few weeks ago. I hesitated to review it immediately, as I was not sure that my assessment was fully formed.

While I love St. Aubyn’s writing—it’s full of unexpected sharp observations and funny self-reflection—this story didn’t appeal to me much.

At the outset, there’s the problem of the newborn infant POV, which goes on for way too long. He continues to go to a ‘precocious’ child’s point of view at various points in the narrative, which I found really precious rather than precocious. I love St. Aubyn’s idiotic grown-ups, and I wish he had stuck to them and explained them as fully as he did these annoying, self-consciously limited children.

Then there’s the problem of the parallel with the Virgin Mary and the child Jesus, which I got right away and just assumed he’d let the mild allusions go eventually, but NO. He has to actually refer to that later in the book, which BTW, puts the adult male narrator in the sad position of being a neglected, alcoholic Joseph figure.

St. Aubyn leaves out all the juice and joy, too. There’s no random adventure, no good sex or tension, little real confrontation. I kept turning the pages, waiting for him to catch fire, and he just didn’t. I feel sad about that, like this book was a half-hearted attempt on the author’s part to plod his writing career along without being really into it.

And, yet, he’s so talented, I would definitely buy his next . . .

Thanks for the review Novella.
I have not as yet read any of his work,although A Clue to the Exit, is languishing somewhere on my bookshelves, I'll get around to it eventually.
Which of his books would you say is his best?

In the US, the Patrick Melrose trilogy was published as one volume, called Some Hope. I think that's a brilliant book. Of the three stories in the trilogy, the first is my favorite, then the second, then the third. Sorry, but I forget the subtitles. The first is set in France (as is Mother's Milk, largely), but St. Aubyn is able to capture a kind of naturalized terror in the protagonist.

The Some Hope trilogy has been available as a single volume in the UK for some months now. The subtitles are Never Mind, Bad News, and Some Hope.

I wasn't all that keen on Never Mind although the writing was great - perhaps it didn't have enough substance for me. The second one, Bad News, I laughed all the way through and it was better than the first. I'm due to read Some Hope soon to finish off the trilogy.

I'm a fan of St Aubyn and loved Mother's Milk. For me the quality of the writing alone was enough to lift it near greatness.

Gem: in the name of all that's holy, don't judge St Aubyn by A Clue to the Exit. It's by far his worst - or certainly least representative - work, followed closely by On the Edge.

Shade
Gem: in the name of all that's holy, don't judge St Aubyn by A Clue to the Exit. It's by far his worst - or certainly least representative - work, followed closely by On the Edge.
Thanks for the warning Shade, trust me to pick the worst one first.

Back