• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Elizabeth the 1st

Libra

I want a good , accurate (as much as is known ) biography or historical fiction on Elizabeth the 1st. Any suggestions?

I have no suggestions, but I'm interested in what other people suggest. There are quite a few biographies out there, but I always hesitate because I never know which one is most accurate. :confused:

As far as fiction, I'm sure Philippa Gregory or Jean Plaidy have written something about her. I can't say how accurate they are though, as I've read neither. :eek:

I want a good , accurate (as much as is known ) biography or historical fiction on Elizabeth the 1st. Any suggestions?

David Starkey's biography is good and not too too dry. The book did accompany his TV series, but it is closer to an academic biography than a bodice ripper. I do suspect though that he is an admirer of Elizabeth rather than 100 percent disinterested (uninterested?).

I bought The Life of Elizabeth I by Alison Weir a while back, and while I still haven't gotten around to reading it yet, when I bought it I think many people told me it was a great (and accurate) book.

Thank you guys. I am going to look into all your suggestions. I have seen "Elizabeth the 1st Golden Age" about 4 times and I saw somewhere that it was one of many inaccurate movies.

I read the Alison Weir book about Henry VIII and, as far as I know, it was fairly accurate. I haven't read the one about Elizabeth. I think Philippa Gregory and Jean Plaidy write historical fiction.

I've got the Folio Society edition of this on my shelf awaiting reading. I'd been wanting a book on Elizabeth I for some time and bought this because I discovered, after a little research, that JE Neale seems to have been a proper historian who was particularly renowned for his work on Elizabethan politics.

Back