• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

English translations?

Wolhay

Some books are translated from English English to American English, changing spelling, vocabulary and sometimes adding more information about the places for example.

Are books in American English translated to English English as well?

As far as I know they often do. I have read quite a few examples of it. I don't know how common it is though or when it's deemed that it's necessary. Although, I am of Martin's opinion that it's pretty pointless.

Wabbit said:
As far as I know they often do. I have read quite a few examples of it.
You have :confused: I can't think of any off the top of my head. It's not generally done as we understand 'Americanisms', however the Americans often don't get our humour/vocabulary so it is often changed to cater for a wider audience.

I guess I've never noticed this before. It got me to thinking though. I'll have to check it out next time I read a book by a british author.

I wonder which Potter we get in Canada. The American English Potter or the English English Potter. Never looked.

Ice said:
You have :confused: I can't think of any off the top of my head. It's not generally done as we understand 'Americanisms', however the Americans often don't get our humour/vocabulary so it is often changed to cater for a wider audience.

Yeah, I have. I can't think of any off the top of my head either. But I definitely have. I remember reading an author talking about the matter also. I think it was on Neil Gaiman's website but I am not certain. I could google around but i'm feeling too lazy to do it :D

ions said:
I wonder which Potter we get in Canada. The American English Potter or the English English Potter. Never looked.
What is the Canadian title of the first book? The Philosophers Stone or The Sorcerers Stone?

Why? Have you been playing with the finger mice again? :D

NOTE: Finger mouse is an obscure Brit reference!

Dog + 30ft Rope lead wrapped round hand + Small furry dog liked the look of = Broken and burnt hand :rolleyes:

Ice said:
What is the Canadian title of the first book? The Philosophers Stone or The Sorcerers Stone?

According to Amazon.ca Philosopher's Stone. I can't seem to find my copy without looking harder.

I seem to remember reading or hearing that the canucks did get the proper versions of the book, ie the way they were written.

when i first saw the threat, i thought you meant how english books are tranlated into other languages. If the translations are good or rather bad, and this kinda stuff...

lovermuffin said:
Finger mouse? :confused: I'm too American :( please tell me what that is :eek:

It's a very old kids TV show. A guy had tiny puppets on his fingers of mice. It's really old. Even a little before my time :)

Back