• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Epic adventure tales?

james-88

I just finished reading the Odyesy (spelled wrong). it was a great book. What are some other great adventure/epic books, novels or whatever. Like Lord of the Rings and the Odysey. Where a person
Travels great distances.
Faces many challenges and just stuff like that.

I haven't actually read it as such, but Virgil's The Aeneid would be quite an appropriate choice after the Iliad/Odyssey.

The His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman would be another one if you have not already read it, it most definitely features an epic journey but so much more as well. Whether seen as a work of high fantasy, a grand theological statement, an introduction to philosophy or an address to mankind, they are wonderful books.

It's hard to get more epic than war in Heaven and original sin, but to have it presented in beautiful poetry and feature such interesting characters (especially the nature of Satan, who is not utterly evil, though one sees him becoming worse as the story progresses), makes Paradise Lost by John Milton my final recommendation.

Not long by LOTR standards, but Sir Apropos of Nothing is an epic adventure, with a humorous twist. Might be worth checking into. There's a phoenix, some unicorns, lots of sword fights...definitely tons of adventure.

You might also want to check out King Solomon's Mines (or almost any other H. Rider Haggard book). He's thought of as being the quintessential author of "Victorian Adventure".

VTChEwbecca said:
Not long by LOTR standards, but Sir Apropos of Nothing is an epic adventure, with a humorous twist. Might be worth checking into. There's a phoenix, some unicorns, lots of sword fights...definitely tons of adventure.
And don't forget whores and knights and insatiable sex drive and and and (in other words, don't leave out all the GOOD parts! LOL)

{Tigress} said:
And don't forget whores and knights and insatiable sex drive and and and (in other words, don't leave out all the GOOD parts! LOL)

LOL :D I didn't want to give the whole story away ;)

The 13 1/2 lives of Captain Bluebear. He travels great distances, he faces many challenges, and he's just so cute. It's a really fun book.

you could read Gene Wolfe's New/Long/Short Sun sequence.

The Book Of The New Sun + The Urth Of The New Sun
The Book Of The Long Sun
The Book Of The Short Sun

E.R. Eddison - The Worm Ouroboros. The Lords of Demonland seek their kinsman, stolen by the sorcery of the King of Witchland, among magical lands.

Jack Vance - Tales Of The Dying Earth. Cugel the Clever is one of my favourite characters.

For easy reading of adventure stories, then Wilbur Smith is a must. His River God/Seventh Scroll books are superb and gripping.

A lot of fantasy novels feature travels and adventures - head over to the fantasy forum to see the authors that people enjoy.

Hey litany had you read John Long Silver by Bjorn Larsson, its the "auto"biography of one of my favorite pirates.

and i guess it could be a epic novel, hes a villian and there its not great confrontation bettween two armies, but since its an autobiography, he its the hero, and he is pursued by the british navy

mr_michel said:
Hey litany had you read John Long Silver by Bjorn Larsson, its the "auto"biography of one of my favorite pirates.
Baby, I lived it!

Well, actually no, I haven't read it. But I did play Puzzle Pirates for a bit this morning. :D

Does anyone have any suggestions as to an author much like Wilbur Smith?
I have just read all of his books and am at a loss as to who to read next!

Dan Brown is a little like him in terms of thrilling action and treasure hunt style adventure - however, you may have been put off by the huge hype surrounding the Da Vinci Code.

I personally think that there are some fantasy authors who write as good an adventure as Wilbur Smith - try David Gemmell's 'Legend'.

haha,
ive read all of Gemmells too.
Actually im just finishing Ironhands daughter!
How about Raymond E Feist? Thinking about some of them as they are Sagas like Wilburs "Courtneys" and Gemmell's "Drenai".

Raymond E Feist can be hit and miss. To start, try Magician - his original and best.

Another you might enjoy from the fantasy side is Katharine Kerr's Deverry series.

Well, RA Salvatore's Transcendance, which is book 2 of The Second Demon Wars Saga, is somewhat compatible in the adventure/epic category

Back