• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ereaders and their fans

The Kindle for whatever reason doesn't have removable flash storage. The bastiges.

I have an SD card for my Kindle and all my files are backed up on both my hardrive and a USB stick. The only thing I'm not keen on with my Kindle is that it doesn't support different file types, so since I use it a lot for reading research papers that download in PDF I've had to find a conversion programme. Which I did, and it was free (as well as really simple to use, which is always a boon for me) so it's not a major problem, just a bit of a hassle.

I have an SD card for my Kindle and all my files are backed up on both my hardrive and a USB stick. The only thing I'm not keen on with my Kindle is that it doesn't support different file types, so since I use it a lot for reading research papers that download in PDF I've had to find a conversion programme. Which I did, and it was free (as well as really simple to use, which is always a boon for me) so it's not a major problem, just a bit of a hassle.

Ah, you have the original Kindle. The new ones do not have a SD card port.

For the original Kindle, the firmware upgrade provides native pdf support.

I don't like e-books because:
1. they are a strain on my eye
2. I cannot cuddle up in bed with them
3. They don't smell of old paper( ummm.... i love that smell)
4.Carrying a laptop is more cumbersome than carrying the real book
So I think that in spite of all the technology,real paper books will survive because of fans like me.

I don't like e-books because:
1. they are a strain on my eye
2. I cannot cuddle up in bed with them
3. They don't smell of old paper( ummm.... i love that smell)
4.Carrying a laptop is more cumbersome than carrying the real book
So I think that in spite of all the technology,real paper books will survive because of fans like me.

1. I thought this too but the eInk technology is really good.
2. I think a Kindle would be easier to curl up with than most books. Don't try to literally curl it though!
3. Fair enough.
4. The new eReaders are a fraction of the size and weight of a notebook. The cheap Kindles weigh in at less than 255 grams. My notebook weighs 1.8kg.

I personally do not mind reading books in the electronic format, but I fail to see myself completely abandoning printed books, but I am still young, times can change.

As far as replacing all your printed books with e-books, the thought keeps coming to mind of an updated Twilight Zone episode where this man just wants time to read and converts all his books to e-books for his kindle in hopes that he can read wherever he finds time. As the tale goes on a catastrophy kills everyone but him and he finally has the peace to read but...oh no...low...battery...NOOOOOO!

I bought a Sony eReader and never use the blasted thing. Mostly because of the absolute nightmare involved in getting books onto it. The Kindle is tempting due to design/ease of use/online store function, but I do prefer paperback books in general. Actually packed several pbs over the ereader on a trip to Japan earlier this year. There are genres where the Kindle would be a godsend - those epic books especially. I think to when I was reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and the wrist strain involved reading that weighty tome on the train to and from work...

I bought a Sony eReader and never use the blasted thing. Mostly because of the absolute nightmare involved in getting books onto it. The Kindle is tempting due to design/ease of use/online store function, but I do prefer paperback books in general. Actually packed several pbs over the ereader on a trip to Japan earlier this year. There are genres where the Kindle would be a godsend - those epic books especially. I think to when I was reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell and the wrist strain involved reading that weighty tome on the train to and from work...
I agree. One of the only reasons I find ereaders attractive is the ease of portability when traveling. If I'm away for any length of time, I like to bring several books. With the greater weight restrictions on airlines, I find it harder and harder to find books I want to bring as opposed to what I can bring based on those restrictions.

I'm also waiting for the ebook industry to make it easier to move already purchased books from one device to another without having to go back through the vendor website to de-register, re-register devices, and then re-load the books. I figure, if I've bought the book, I'd like to be able to do what I want with it - just like a physical book - i.e. give it to a friend, move it where I want, etc. Also a standardized format would be nice.

If they sort it all out, then I'd buy an ereader, but I wouldn't give up physical books.

I agree with the standard format.

I understand why there are restrictions on what you can do with an e-book. But there are too many restrictions. I don't see why you can't give an e-book to someone else by transferring it to their library. Then it would fit the same logic as a book in that it could only be in one library at a time. My single biggest complaint about e-books is the lack of a standard format. If my nook quits working and I decide to buy a kendell, I shouldn't loose the ability to read all of the many books that I paid for. E-books are somewhat cheaper on new releases but the "bargain" books are not of the quality you find on the bargain table at your local book store. With physical books, if you wait 6 months or so you can buy lots of top quality books for $5 to $10.

I agree with the standard format.

I understand why there are restrictions on what you can do with an e-book. But there are too many restrictions. I don't see why you can't give an e-book to someone else by transferring it to their library. Then it would fit the same logic as a book in that it could only be in one library at a time. My single biggest complaint about e-books is the lack of a standard format. If my nook quits working and I decide to buy a kendell, I shouldn't loose the ability to read all of the many books that I paid for. E-books are somewhat cheaper on new releases but the "bargain" books are not of the quality you find on the bargain table at your local book store. With physical books, if you wait 6 months or so you can buy lots of top quality books for $5 to $10.

It is possible to change from one file format to another but generally speaking it's probably "illegal" to do that.

It's good to hang out sometimes on the reader sites for technical support, reviews and free books. I have a Sony Reader and of course get a lot of advice from the Sony Reader Forum located sonyreaderboards.com

Back