• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

errors in Lee Child book

.........But, my absolute favorite writer of military fiction is W.E.B. Griffin....being a veteran himself he is well versed in all aspects of armed services and lifestyles therein. His Men at War series is really good.

Interesting to hear JanelB, thanks for mentioning. I've passed his up before this, but will pick one up to try.

I've read only 2 of Child's and didn't see much to them.

Shrek is enjoying the Lee Child books, he has 4 more to get and he will have read all of them. I've read three or four, I like them, but there are other books calling to me.

He's Tom Cruise. Xenu provides.

Since Reacher is 6'5" and 240-250 casting Cruise as Reacher was more than a bit ridiculous.

And yes I've found several errors in Child's books as regards various weapons , I'll give him a pass on the issue in consideration of the fact that firearms are relatively uncommon in Great Britian due to their laws.

C.J. Box writes wonderfully of Wyoming, and his fictional game warden "Joe Pickett" is very credible, to me.

But there are things that Box writes about ancillary characters and the military that are a bit clueless.

Disagree , as do/would many who live in or have lived in the state of Wyoming.

Reachers drawers

Couldn't find a Lee Child author discussion thread, so I figured I'd post this here. I have been reading a few of the Reacher books lately, and had a question....
What does Jack Reacher do for underwear? I mean, he only ever takes a toothbrush with him anywhere he goes. No change of clothes, no deoderant, no nothing. Just a toothbrush. I presume he wears the same clothes over and over again and maybe the same underwear. or maybe he doesn't wear any? Still, even though he must smell like a BO factory, most women he encounters find him attractive. Die hard Reacher experts please help me out.

Lee Child mentioned in several Reacher novels that Jack Reacher wanders around America with only one set of clothes, but when they get dirty, he buys new ones and discards the old ones. He doesn't do laundry. He just buys new clothes.

So yeah, he does change his clothes.

Speaking of errors in Lee Child's books, I try not to notice them at all because they might get in the way of my enjoyment.

But deep down, I have always thought this:

"For a man who doesn't work out regularly, he's a surprisingly, almost unbelievably, good fighter!"

"For a man who doesn't work out regularly, he's a surprisingly, almost unbelievably, good fighter!"
Lol! I only read a few and I did enjoy them. He must not have bought new clothes in the ones I read.
To go with your above comment he also only ever seems to injest cheeseburgers and coffee. Must be all that wandering that keeps him lean.
Errors aside Reacher is a pretty cool character and it is fun to read about how he deconstructs cases, and physically destroys people in the process.

Lol! I only read a few and I did enjoy them. He must not have bought new clothes in the ones I read.
To go with your above comment he also only ever seems to injest cheeseburgers and coffee. Must be all that wandering that keeps him lean.
Errors aside Reacher is a pretty cool character and it is fun to read about how he deconstructs cases, and physically destroys people in the process.

I read his books, some are better than others and I also ordered the DVD of One Shot despite the outcry that Tom Cruise could in no way represent Reacher. He did a credible job in the movie despite his size. I'm wondering how his next book will turn out.

I wonder if Reacher will settle down in the end.

Since he was last seen heading towards a destination to meet a woman...

I wonder if Reacher will settle down in the end.

Since he was last seen heading towards a destination to meet a woman...

I think if ever Lee Child has Reacher settle down that will be the end of the series featuring Jack, can't imagine Reacher as a homebody.

I know these things do not bother most people but I always get aggravated with writers who make big errors in technical stuff. I am currently reading 61 Hours by lee Child. As usual with his books, they are very well written in my opinion in terms of the plots and the mysteries and characters, but although he appears to be an expert is firearms and military tactics, he is not. The latest book involves a maximum security prison, and the prison staff has some deal with local police where when riot siren sounds, local police evacuate the town and man the guard towers and perimeter. This is ridiculous. I was a prison guard and investigator for many years and worked in 5 different prisons in my career and was watch commander at maximum security prison for 15 years. No correction department in the world, or police department either for that matter, would employ such a ridiculous policy. Prison administrators would not hand over control of guard towers and perimeter roads to local police in a riot situation or any other time. And police would not abandon the town to guard the prison. I love Lee Childs' books and will continue to read them despite these flaws, but I think it would be good if he did more research into his subjects.
I am bothered by errors, as well. Slightly OT, but in the movie "Escape From Alcatraz", with Clint Eastwood, there is a lot of the plot that revolves around plans made at meals. I have always been told the inmates cannot talk, at meals. I knew someone in prison and I think he said the same. In John Grisham movies, Grisham was an attorney, but his errors are always big enough, and of a legal proceedings nature, to undermine the plot or the climax of the story. That's the kind of errors that will turn me off of an author, especially when it is from an author's own career experience.
In 61 hours, I didn't think that prison was supposed to be normal. It was a front for something else, wasn't it? Also, I was completely in the dark, regarding the time countdown. Was it in retrospect? A framework from an omniscient narrator? I didn't get it.

I do not have time to sit and read a book, so I have discovered audio books. In one of his books, he is hoping for intervention from the FBI. He keeps referring to the arrival of "the calvary". Sorry, but Calvary is the hill were Christ was crucified. He means "The cavalry", the etymology is that 'cav' relates to horses. I don't care if regular folks make this mistake, but authors should know better. I've heard this in several - every -adventure book that includes the expression. Please, please, audio book makers, get it right. I would rather think this is a mistake by the reader/talent, but I won't know until I find a print version, to check it out.

The main thing that bugs me (I am blissfully ignorant of guns and the military) is that his timeline is all fouled up. There are characters who die, and show up again.

I’m currently reading the newest Reacher novel, The Secret. It refers to the two criminals stealing a 20 year old Ford Explorer in 1992. The SUV was not introduced until 1991.

Just found another. In The Secret they talk about going into a Starbucks in DC. This is 1992. The first Starbucks did not open in DC until 1993.

Back