• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ever bought a book because of a bad review?

hufflepuff

Often I've come across books that were poorly reviewed only to find them fresh and exciting and different. Often a lot of the criticism holds up, but seems that reviewers either sit at one end of the spectrum or the other when it comes to making a judgment. Maybe the have quotas to meet. Anyone else bought a poorly reviewed book only to find it a gem?
cheers
huff

ops, just realized I've posted this is the wrong place. How do I move it? Sorry about that; I'm new around here!

A review from some anonymous person or group doesn’t influence me to buy or borrow a book to read. Actually, I don’t read reviews on books to often.
I do listen to the opinions of others that have the same taste in subject matter that I do. But overall, if I want to read it I’ll get it and read it.
Yes and sometimes I get a lemon of a book with this philosophy.

Hmm...good question. I've never done it but I have done the opposite. There have been times where I thought certain books were going to be a gem because of the 45 or 50 people review it gave it all a 4 or 5 starts. I picked it up only to be disappointed then come to realize that all that reviews were probably by family members and friends. I rarely pick up a book based on that so like the poster above stated, I will trust the opinion of those that I have the same taste in. I got hook on Michael Connelly's books because of the said friend.

I have some clunkers from the highest of recommendations by people whose good tastes I thought I knew. My loss.

And I have one book I love, based on an accurate and positive NYT review that absolutely turns many people totally off. Their loss.

But, no, I avoid books with dubious to bad reviews; I have too many books to read already.

And even too many highly acclaimed authors still slip through the filter to remain unfinished.

The way I find most books I read is pretty random. Usually its a recommendation from a friend, or (for nonfiction) a book mentioned in an article I found interesting. Sometimes, I just grab books off the shelf at the library and take them home to find out what I got.

So...I almost never see reviews of a book before I read.

That said, if a book *really* pisses me off, I might go to Amazon to read all the bad reviews and commisserate. Which doesn't make a lot of sense, but there you go. =)

-David

Back