• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ever broken up with someone over books?

AngusBenton

I was dating this very nice young lady. Not enough left of center for me to begin with. However, she was very pretty, she attended at top-tier school (Princeton) and, most importantly, thought I was fantastic.

After several weeks she confessed to me (I have books pouring out of every corner of my apartment) that she didn't really enjoy reading novels.

I said, "You don't...read?"

She said, "Oh...but I like magazines!"

I hoped at bare minimum Atlantic Monthly, New Yorker...but alas no.

She read Time Magazine every week. And then...InStyle, Cosmo and People.

I dropped her like a bad habit in a matter of 2 weeks. I just lost all interest.

Sad story, eh?

I would think that people have more than one aspect to them. Not wanting to be with somebody because they don't read seems rather silly. Sorry, no offence intended, but that's how I see it :)

Would I stop dating somebody because they didn't cook or they hated to ride a bicycle?

I've never broken up over a book, but if I ever get a divorce... what of the books... the many splendid, splendid books?

No, but I married the man who paid to have my trunks of books shipped to England when I moved in with him, paid to have them shipped back to NY when we moved, and built a wall of bookshelves to make a library. :)

Ever broken up with someone over books?
Hahahahaha. No, but I love the question.

I do know a couple who broke up because he read only non-fiction and she read only fiction.

Woah, Angus! I'm sure there was more to it than that... didn't you consider trying to show her some of your favourites to show her why it meant so much to you?

Wabbit said:
I would think that people have more than one aspect to them. Not wanting to be with somebody because they don't read seems rather silly. Sorry, no offence intended, but that's how I see it :)

Would I stop dating somebody because they didn't cook or they hated to ride a bicycle?

Yes, but it is my singular addiction (outside of Scotch). Also, in the states (at least) there is a huge anti-intellectual current among otherwise smart people that I am keen to avoid.

Follow up question....does this make me an asshole? I know guys who've dumped women for far less...and much more superficial reasons. Of course, I consort with a fairly roguish bunch.

i don't knwo if that would make you an asshole, it comes close, but i guess there was more to this breakup than the confession that she doesn't read.

Mari said:
Hahahahaha. No, but I love the question.

I do know a couple who broke up because he read only non-fiction and she read only fiction.

thats hilarous, i mean nowadays you have to look out that the person you start dating reads the same books like you... :D

Kookamoor said:
Woah, Angus! I'm sure there was more to it than that... didn't you consider trying to show her some of your favourites to show her why it meant so much to you?

It was hopeless.

"This is John Irving. Everyone likes him."
"Oh, I love Robin Williams! But I didn't like the whole nurse thing."
"What?"
"You know, from the movie? What else do you have?"

Serves me right from dating an Economics major anyway. :rolleyes:

honeydevil said:
i don't knwo if that would make you an asshole, it comes close, but i guess there was more to this breakup than the confession that she doesn't read.

The sex was great, sadly. But I lost interest.

novella said:
No, but I married the man who paid to have my trunks of books shipped to England when I moved in with him, paid to have them shipped back to NY when we moved, and built a wall of bookshelves to make a library. :)

Sounds like a good gent!!

AngusBenton said:
Also, in the states (at least) there is a huge anti-intellectual current among otherwise smart people that I am keen to avoid.
I think I know what you're referring to, but would you care to elaborate? Do you really think this girl was amongst them and that she would have turned you? I just don't understand why you didn't try to convince her of the benefits of reading!

Kookamoor said:
I think I know what you're referring to, but would you care to elaborate? Do you really think this girl was amongst them and that she would have turned you? I just don't understand why you didn't try to convince her of the benefits of reading!

:D She was a Republican!! :eek:

To be honest, I don't think that it makes you an asshole at all. In fact, I think that reading is far different from biking or cooking. It's not a hobby, it's a way of life. I think that there are two types of people - readers and non-readers. Granted there are different levels of zealotry :) but for someone who is consumed by books as I assume most at this forum are, I think that breaking up over books is far from superficial. My wife and I have often talked about how important reading is to our marriage. Opens up whole worlds of conversations, shared perspectives, etc...

Even so... Just because of someone's political affiliation doesn't necessarily reflect their intellect (am trying hard to be neutral here!).

pwilson said:
To be honest, I don't think that it makes you an asshole at all. In fact, I think that reading is far different from biking or cooking. It's not a hobby, it's a way of life. I think that there are two types of people - readers and non-readers. Granted there are different levels of zealotry :) but for someone who is consumed by books as I assume most at this forum are, I think that breaking up over books is far from superficial. My wife and I have often talked about how important reading is to our marriage. Opens up whole worlds of conversations, shared perspectives, etc...

*smiles with the pleasure found among like minded people*

could be, but i think it also can work if one is a reader and the other one is not. you just have to find another ground to stand on...

Back