• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ever broken up with someone over books?

Kookamoor said:
Even so... Just because of someone's political affiliation doesn't necessarily reflect their intellect (am trying hard to be neutral here!).

Yes, but if you dream of Barney's department store, buying $700 heels and won't give a dollar to a homeless person because you "won't support" his "life choice" you may be borderline insane :D

AngusBenton said:
Yes, but if you dream of Barney's department store, buying $700 heels and won't give a dollar to a homeless person because you "won't support" his "life choice" you may be borderline insane :D
Ah! But now you are getting into more than just breaking up over books. Sounds like you broke up with her because she was shallow and not interested in the world outside her bubble. Now *that* is a valid decision to break up with someone!!

honeydevil said:
but i think it also can work if one is a reader and the other one is not. you just have to find another ground to stand on...
Yes, for sure. My partner is not a reader of fiction, but he has an amazing intellect and a power for absorbing knowledge that I can only dream of.

Kookamoor said:
Ah! But now you are getting into more than just breaking up over books. Sounds like you broke up with her because she was shallow and not interested in the world outside her bubble. Now *that* is a valid decision to break up with someone!!

Yes, for sure. My partner is not a reader of fiction, but he has an amazing intellect and a power for absorbing knowledge that I can only dream of.

thanks that's what i was talking about, and you're right.

honeydevil said:
could be, but i think it also can work if one is a reader and the other one is not. you just have to find another ground to stand on...
I'm not saying it couldn't be made to work, but that could also be said about many other "valid" reasons for breaking up with someone.

pwilson said:
I'm not saying it couldn't be made to work, but that could also be said about many other "valid" reasons for breaking up with someone.

true... what can i say, maybe books are not the most important thing in my life even if i love them and have a hard time imagine i could ever throw a book away... :eek:

honeydevil said:
true... what can i say, maybe books are not the most important thing in my life even if i love them and have a hard time imagine i could ever throw a book away... :eek:
Ok, maybe not the most important thing but, admit it, they're pretty close :D

pwilson said:
Ok, maybe not the most important thing but, admit it, they're pretty close :D

okay i say it this way, if somebody would through my books out or destroys them, he can pack his things and better hurry to get away. :D good enough?

Kookamoor said:
I'm in a similar boat, Kooka. My boyfriend isn't much of a reader, and yet (also luckily) he's one of the smartest guys I know. It's not that he doesn't read - he reads a book every few months or so - he just doesn't have nearly the same voracious appetite for them that I do.

Also, he occasionally comments on my ever-expanding book collection (and again, its not that he doesn't approve, just that he doesn't understand), so I've taken to not even telling him about my purchases. I just put them on the shelf and he doesn't know one way or another. :)

Pigeon said:
I'm in a similar boat, Kooka. My boyfriend isn't much of a reader, and yet (also luckily) he's one of the smartest guys I know. It's not that he doesn't read - he reads a book every few months or so - he just doesn't have nearly the same voracious appetite for them that I do.

Also, he occasionally comments on my ever-expanding book collection (and again, its not that he doesn't approve, just that he doesn't understand), so I've taken to not even telling him about my purchases. I just put them on the shelf and he doesn't know one way or another. :)

He should applaud anything that gives you joy.

I've never been able to find a guy who likes to read as much as I do. So at least I know who gets the books...it's always me!!! I have, however, broken up with guys because they were Republicans. :D

AngusBenton said:
He should applaud anything that gives you joy.
*grin* I'm not looking for applause, Angus. I'll take quiet acceptance and the occasional request for recommendations when he does want a book. :)

I think having similar interests is important, but like some said if he/she doesn't like reading then it is important to find something esle in common. But I also think that it is important to try and take interest in what your partner likes. For instance if she likes you go mountain biking, and it's not something that you would do, it's always important to try in and take an interest in what they like. (and vise versa)

I'm lucky enough to have a boyfriend that reads as much as i do and possible more, and I love laying on the couch with the fireplace lit reading in his arms :)

Not sharing a common interest is grounds for dismissal. Especially if that interest is a passionate one that you want to share with someone. Some passions are satisfactory on their own others become so much more when they're shared. If you can't share the great things in life you truly enjoy...

I have broken up with someone because he hated reading and had probably never read a book in his life. But it wasn't only that, I guess. He also had the smallest intellect I've ever known, and was closed-minded and irritatingly uninterested in anything I had an interest in. So, yeah, it never would've worked anyway I guess.
But I don't think I'd get into a relationship again with someone who really never read; we'd just be too different.

Idril Silmaure said:
I have broken up with someone because he hated reading and had probably never read a book in his life. But it wasn't only that, I guess. He also had the smallest intellect I've ever known, and was closed-minded and irritatingly uninterested in anything I had an interest in. So, yeah, it never would've worked anyway I guess.
But I don't think I'd get into a relationship again with someone who really never read; we'd just be too different.

smallest "INTELLECT"?

I think you took the right decision, Angus. I married a non-reader and now my books are in boxes in the shed, he moans about the money I spend in books and grunts when he sees me reading, which is pretty often. I don't know if a judge would admit it as a reason for a divorce, though. :D

Back