• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Excel Help

Libre

I joined the computer and tech forum, but can't activate my account yet.
Till then, can anyone help me with this Excel question?
I want to view a spreadsheet upside down.
That's right.
I want the view I would get if I turned my monitor 180 deg.
Don't get cute and tell me I should do that.
I don't care if the data is inverted.
Even better if the data is NOT inverted.
I'll be happy to create another worksheet, linked to the first one, and have it display as I want. I tried that - using a formula like (=sheet1!(B9)), and it works, but first of all blank cells show up as 0, instead of blank. Second of all, it's cumbersome. I just want to invert my screen.
Any suggestions?

I'm the excel super-pro, but I'm not sure I take your meaning. You have a spreadsheet. And you want to see it upside down..like the letters turned over? And what used to be in line one is still in line one except written upside down? This is not possible. The most you can do is rotate font alignment 90 degrees in either direction, but not more than that.

Or did you mean..swap first line with last line, second line with second to last line, etc? If that's what you want..I'd have to think about it.

Well, here's what I really want.
Suppose I have a spreadsheet that says (one character per cell - spaces are blanks):

1 4 9
A C
B
D
G
3 6 7

I'd like to see it as:

7 6 3
G
D
B
C A
9 4 1

That's if I did it right - and the formatting of the text window I just typed it in doesn't screw up the alignment.
The suggestion to print it out and turn it over is good. That would give me what I want - in a low-tech way.

What I am actually doing, is playing correspondence chess. We have an Excel spreadsheet of the board, with letters representing the pieces. I am playing black, and I'd like to see the position from black's perspective, instead of white's perspective - which is the standard way to represent a chess diagram. I just want to turn it over.

Edit: the alignment got messed up - as I thought it might. But I think you get the idea.
another edit: I found my chess database program - which lets me flip the board. I'll jsut use that, and then transfer my moves to the spreadsheet. So, don't strain your brain working on this - if you were going to - because I have a workaround.

All you want is an eight by eight board to invert itself?

I'm going to bed now but will write you some code when I get up.

EDIT: just read you found something. oh well.

Got It!!!

First of all, thanks Stewart. I did find something - and old copy of Chessbase, but it didn't work - the program was too old. So I was back to needing something to do what I wanted.
I wrote my own macro - here is a screen print.

awww.marcfriedlander.com_images_GRAPHICS_WandBview.jpg

You enter the move or moves on the left (white view) side, run the macro, and it transfers each and every square to the black view equivalent.

This is pretty much what I had needed.
Thanks, to those who thought about it for me.

Back