• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Experimental Fiction

It's easy enough to read but I just wasn't prepared to put in the time. One of the storylines just didn't grab me. (And I wasn't prepared to sit on a train in the mornings, reading parts of a book with a mirror.)

:D I figured.

Don't worry, I agree with you but still enjoy Joyce. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, I love everything Joyce wrote until the end of the 4th chapter of The Portrait of the Artists as a Young Man. Afterwards, he's no longer interesting to me :D But the 3rd chapter, containing the two sermons about Hell, is still one of the most haunting things I've ever read!

Someone mentioned Italo Calvino: you see, I wouln't consider him experimental. Perhaps some of his work, The Castle of Crossed Destinies, and If on a Winter's Night a Traveller falls in that category. But from personal experience, he sticks to traditional linear narrative. He does has a knack for a) creating pretty weird characters, and b) anthropomorphosizing (spelling?) inanimate objects and abstract concepts. In his Cosmicomics he has atoms talking and colours feeling and mathematical equations thinking. In a way, this may seem experimental, but I think Calvino just had a wonderful imagination.

Back