• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fairy Tales..

Child-proof fairytales dont appeal to me at all. The more obscure stories can be pretty wild and I prefer them not to be edited.

Unfortunately, I cant give you any names with out a book handy. Sorry, Gem.

When I was in Grade 10 we did a study of fairy tales in English class. It was original fairy tales, though, not the child-friendly ones we know today. Many of them had fairly grusome elements to them. I wish I had the book in front of me and I would tell you a few.

That would be awesome, Kookamoor. I heard about a book of black fairytales called Grimm's Grimmest but I haven't read it. Usually I find stories with dark elements in books of cultural fairytales.

geneviv said:
That would be awesome, Kookamoor. I heard about a book of black fairytales called Grimm's Grimmest but I haven't read it. Usually I find stories with dark elements in books of cultural fairytales.

I've heard of Grimm's Grimmest and was thinking of picking it up for Halloween.

I prefer the more obscure fairytales.
I like Grimm's The Juniper Tree, The Three Spinners, The Devil With the Three Golden Hairs and Bearskin.
I also like creation myths and legends.

I think a lot of the traditional fairy tales are pretty dark in some fashion. In Hansel and Gretel you have the unwanted children who are almost eaten by a witch; in the Cinderella the actions of the step sisters when they try to make the shoe fit their feet aren't exactly nice.

Considering that many fairy tales were passed down through the generations orally, with the intention of being moral guides, it is understandable that many are dark. They warn against what may happen if you don't do the right thing and each retelling is of course embellished by the story teller. The stories of the Boogy man and of trolls living under bridges were great deterrants for children who might consider wandering too close to the water or possibly crossing a bridge without adult supervision.

I have always loved fairy tales, but have more recently heard some Irish ones and I really liked them, although I couldn't tell you the name of any of them.

Since nobody has mentioned her, I shall. What about The Bloody Chamber and other stories by Angela Carter; reworkings of traditional fairy tales.

I enjoy many of the traditional darker fairy tales. I never really like when more modern authors try to make the tales less dark or lighten them up.

When I was a small child, my favorite story was The Wind in The Willows , and I still have an old copy of my book that is almost falling apart from my mother reading a bit of it to me every night. (Over.. and over.... and over..)

My current favorite is one that I heard as a teenager. I am not sure where I heard it but it is called "The Tale of the Warm Fuzzies". Or at least, I call it that for lack of knowing the proper name.

Duff

Thank you guys, you've given me a wonderful list to pursue.

Stewart, I remember reading the Bloody Chamber - it was bluebeard in a french setting right? I also recall reading a story about bluebeards daughter anyone else know of this? or am i just imagining it?

Grimms Grimmest sounds great, i'll have to search for it.

I prefer the more obscure fairytales.
One i particulary, although I don't remember the name, is about a fisherman who catches a talking fish. So the fish pleads him to let him free, and promises him a wish if he does so.
The fishermen is very poor and fishes a nice cottage with some animals. Well it's done, but then his wife isn't satified and she wants a bigger house.

She makes the fisherman catch the fish again and again, and wishes each time for a bigger house. In the end she is god, and she's very very bored. Also, each time they wish, the sea gets more polluted :S

I suppose I am a bit late for this thread :rolleyes: but I suppose my favorite fairy tales would be:

Thumbelina
Donkeyskin
East of the Sun and West of the Moon

I also love mythology, but never have time to research it :(

My favorite was a Grimm's tale... Dancing Princesses or Tattered Shoes (goes under a few names)... I can't remember how it was in the book, but in the cartoon series (anime) I watched when I was little, it was about 3 princesses who would go off dancing throughout the night and in the morning their shoes would be tattered. The King didn't understand where they went because he locked their door at night... so he asked for help from anyone who would be able to solve this mystery... etc...

Ooh, I also liked Grimm's The Coat of Many Colors... It's twisted in the beginning, but it's an interesting one.

Back