• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fantasy Books ?

Worm

Hi,
Can anyone recommend me any good fantasy books ? Or any author in the Genre ? I only know of two : Robert Jordan & Terry Brooks. I've heared Robert Jordan is good ? Is he?
Any recommendation would be helpful.

I would recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I have read the first book so far, and I really loved it. I have heard that the second book is even better, though. It starts with Outlander (or Cross Stitch, depending on where you live.. more commonly Outlander, I think):

Amazon.com
In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.
While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

Worm said:
Hi,
Can anyone recommend me any good fantasy books ? Or any author in the Genre ? I only know of two : Robert Jordan & Terry Brooks. I've heared Robert Jordan is good ? Is he?
Any recommendation would be helpful.
Worm... there are plenty of recommendations here in the fantasy forum - our gurus Sell Sword and Ainulindale has recommended lots. Do check them out.

Personally I'd point you to Ursula Le Guin who wrote the Earthsea Cycle, and this chap who isn't too shabby named Guy Gavriel Kay.

I loved the early Robert Jordan books, but he rambled on the latter ones. The first 4 to 5 books is great. I loved Books 3 and 4 of the Wheel of Time. There are yet others who think he's a spawn of evil, but I don't subscribe to that. He's at least a couple of rungs higher than that...

ds

My long, boring list of Fantasy series that I liked (but, hey...I'm easily amused!!!) in no particular order:

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin
Book 1 - A Game of Thrones
Book 2 - A Clash of Kings
Book 3 - A Storm of Swords
Book 4 - A Feast For Crows

Runelords by David Farland
Book 1 - The Sum of All Men
Book 2 - Brotherhood of the Wolf
Book 3 - Wizardborn
Book 4 - The Lair of Bones

Dragoncrown War by Michael A. Stackpole
Book 1 - Fortress Darconis
Book 2 - When Dragons Rage
Book 3 - The Grand Crusade

The Banned and the Banished by James Clemens
Book 1 - Wit'ch Fire
Book 2 - Wit'ch Storm
Book 3 - Wit'ch War
Book 4 - Wit'ch Gate
Book 5 - Wit'ch Star

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.
Book 1 - Gardens of the Moon
Book 2 - Deadhouse Gates
Book 3 - Memories of Ice

The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker
Book 1 - The Darkness That Comes Before
Book 2 - The Warrior Prophet

Winds of the Forelands by David B. Coe
Book 1 - Rules of Ascension
Book 2 - Seeds of Betrayal
Book 3 - Bonds of Vengeance

Tyrants and Kings by John Marco
Book 1 - The Jackal of Nar
Book 2 - The Grand Design
Book 3 - The Saints of the Sword

Akari Spirits by John Marco
Book 1 - The Eyes of God
Book 2 - The Devil's Armor
Book 3 - The Sword of Angels (comes out in Sep 2005)

Keys of Power by Simon Brown
Book 1 - Inheritance
Book 2 - Fire and Sword
Book 3 - Sovereign

Fifth Ring by Mitchell Graham
Book 1 - The Fifth Ring
Book 2 - The Emerald Cavern
Book 3 - The Ancient Legacy

Chronicles of Blood and Stone by Robert Newcomb
Book 1 - The Fifth Sorceress
Book 2 - The Gates of Dawn
Book 3 - The Scrolls of the Ancients

Sileria by Laura Resnick
Book 1 - In Legend Born
Book 2 - In Fire Forged
Book 3 - The Destroyer Goddess

Tears of Artamon by Sarah Ash
Book 1 - Lord of Snow and Shadows
Book 2 - Prisoner of the Iron Tower

Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes
Book 1 - The Briar King
Book 2 - The Charnel Prince

Sceptre of Mercy by Dan Chernenko
Book 1 - The Bastard King
Book 2 - The Chernagor Pirates
Book 3 - The Sceptre's Return
You are too kind, direstraits!

Hey, worm....I dug up an old post chock full o' Fantasy suggestions:

The King's Blades by Dave Duncan
Book 1 - The Gilded Chain
Book 2 - Lord of the Fire Lands
Book 3 - Sky of Swords
Book 4 - Paragon Lost
Book 5 - Impossible Odds
Book 6 - The Jaguar Knights

Lord of the Isles by David Drake
Book 1 - Lord of the Isles
Book 2 - Queen of Demons
Book 3 - Servant of the Dragon
Book 4 - Mistress of the Catacombs
Book 5 - Goddess of the Ice Realm
Book 6 - Master of the Cauldron

I second the recommendation of Guy Gavriel Kay. He is an excellent writer, and he has plenty of stand-alone novels to test his style and the genre.

Ah, yes, another GGK fan! What have you read of Kay, Scooter? I'm in the middle of the Fionavar Tapestry, and have The Last Light of the Sun in my TBR. I've read everything else.

ds

I have read "A Song for Arbonne", "Tigana", and "The Lions of Al-Rassan" (which ranks as a top five book for me). And I recommend them all (directing towards Worm). I have the "Mosaic" duology and "The Last Light of the Sun" on the TBR pile.

There is a Tigana thread if you're interested, where others talk about the book there. Lions is my top standalone fantasy novel. Pure brilliance.

And I wholeheartedly recommend the Sarantine Mosaic. It was so very satisfying.

ds

direstraits said:
Ah, yes, another GGK fan! What have you read of Kay, Scooter? I'm in the middle of the Fionavar Tapestry, and have The Last Light of the Sun in my TBR. I've read everything else.

ds
ds, I've been meaning to ask you how you are liking Fionavar? I've still only read Tigana but Fionavar is sitting on my shelf, tempting me, and the rest of his books are on my Amazon wishlist.

Scooter, nice to have another Kay fan on the forum! Welcome!

Thank you Sell Sword for your LOOONG list.And thanks to everybody else.
I'm thinking to start 'Robert Jordan'.Because I couldnt find other books,which you guys have recommend.Is he good?

I've not read Robert Jordan, but I've seen his ten book series The Wheel of Time in shops. If you're new to fantasy fiction (RUN!!!) then I'd suggest you find some one off books from fantasy authors before plunging into a ten book saga by an author you've never read before.

I'd have to agree with Stewart there. If it turns out you don't like it, it'd suck to have started a hugely long series that isn't even finished yet.

Personally I'll recommend the Aquasilva Trilogy by Anselm Audley, though if you're from the States it may be difficult to find those books since Audley is British.

Where I live,they have only one chain of Bookstore,and the nearest one to where I live,only have Robert Jordan & Terry Brooks.So I have to pick any one of them.
Well, if not Robert Jordan,then how about Terry Brooks,The Shannara Trilogy?

Worm said:
Where I live,they have only one chain of Bookstore,and the nearest one to where I live,only have Robert Jordan & Terry Brooks.So I have to pick any one of them.
Well, if not Robert Jordan,then how about Terry Brooks,The Shannara Trilogy?
Surely you can have them order something for you? Otherwise do what the rest of us do when we can't get what we want locally: Turn to the internet - more specifically: Amazon and eBay can supply just about anything you might want.

Oh, I see. You'll simply have to rely on the ability of your bookshop to take home the books you order. Surely they'll be willing to do that?

pwilson... nice to hear from you man! How's your little one?

Re Fionavar... well, my feelings are a bit mixed - I liked certain things, and I disliked certain things. I'll post my feelings on The Summer Tree on the Fionavar thread.

ds

Back