• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fantasy Question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleDB

My Fantasy Class... - Help maybe :D

Hey everyone I am trying to start this essay for my Fantasy class but I'm having a hard time thinking of what to write about.. I was hoping to post the topic and see if I can get any ideas from you guys to build on my work.

1. Consider any two of the following novels: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, A Wrinkle in Time, The Hobbit and Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. Why do children (or the childlike) provide the means of salvation in so many works of fantasy?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Michelle

You should look at Joseph Campbell's work on mythological themes, particularly his "Hero With a Thousand Faces." These books you mention repeat many of the structural patterns of classical mythology and folklore.

Basically, the hero's journey is one from innocence through a series of trials and moral tests, puzzles and reconciliations, and the best character for this sort of journey is a true innocent, not, for instance, some jaded guy who decides to leave his day job.

yea that was pretty much the only idea I thought of but I need to do 5 pages of writing so i dont know what else to do ;/

No, I was actually referring to the point that we are not here to do your homework for you. Sorry if I wasn't being clear.

I'm not asking you to do my homework for me I'm just asking for others opinions and if you would not like to contribute just stay off the thread it is very easy.

I'm not asking you to do my homework for me
To be honest, it reads like you are. You've turned up, posted the question that has been set to you, and asking others for their ideas without reassuring us that you've got some ideas of your own first. Surely, you could let us know what you've got so far?

I think that you don't have a clue. You could write 4 or 5 books on each chapter in Campbell's book. So when you say 'that was the only idea I thought of' I wonder whether you have the least notion of what you're talking about.

Aside from the Hobbit, I think that all of those books were written with a young audience in mind. If you want to speak to young people or tell them a story, what better way than to give them a character they can identiy with. A character of similar age to the reader is a great starting place.

All of these books are appropriate for a younger audience but entertaining for the older reader as well. I'm 24 and I still read the Chronicles of Narnia once a year. Not to mention that I'm really excited for the last Harry Potter book to come out this year.

I think it comes back to reaching the reader - we've all been children and we all have a soft spot in our hearts for children. This is a common factor for all readers so its something we can relate to.

Hey - I'll help you do your homework...

I actually just posted a response in the General Discussions forum, but I had another thought as I read through the prompt again.

Innocence and purity are traits generally associated with children. They are also often portrayed as the characteristics needed to fight evil, etc.... something to think about.

yea thats a good point I have a paragraph on that :)

i need to think of another point thought -hmmm-
You mean, you need to think of a point to begin with...sounds like all the points you're claiming are coming from other people, so as soon as they say them you can pretend you actually read the book and say, "Oh, yes, I thought that as well!"

You aren't the first lazy kid who has come on here asking for us to do your homework, and I doubt you will be the last. If you had offered some points you had already thought of in the beginning and asked for a discussion on it, that would be one thing, but go back and re-read your first post.

Okay, if we all give you the benefit of the doubt, Michelle, it would help if you offered your own opinions in the way of discussion (i.e. more than just saying you agree with something someone else said). You say you have one paragraph. What's in it?

And there's no point calling people names just because they're calling you on something that's been seen here before. If people are wrong about you, prove it by participating in an actual discussion of the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back