• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fantasy recommendations for a chronic reader?

Ink92

Hi, can anyone give me some recommendations for epic fantasy novels? I just finished Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings and want to sink my teeth into something similar. (And if you're going to suggest the Mistborn series, I'm already one step ahead of you :).)
I'd like to stick with something that doesn't span more than three books if possible (unless its amazingly good) because I sometimes loose interest after the third book. And if I'm going to be really picky I'd say that I'm looking for a book with a inventive, creative world and solid magic system, the latter of which I don't want to have to use a user's manual to be able to navigate. I love the boundless possibility fantasy books present but I don't want to drown in the overloading complexity of them while the prose of the book is dry and lifeless.
So, if you have any suggestions (even if they don't fit my criteria but you think they are awesome!) please post them :)

The Swordmage Trilogy by Martin Hengst.

The Last Swordmage - Book One

The Darkest Hour - Book Two

The Pegasus's Lament - Book Three

Riyria Revelations - this is a great series of six books but you can got all six in a series of three books :)

The Per books - a very long series but you can read all the book separately and although technical sci-fi they have lot of dragons and dragon riders and the later books read like fantasy

Green Rider series - this is another great series so far only four book the last one is still to come out :(

The Valdemar series is also long but can be read as individual books as well

Hope one of these appeals :)

I would recommend the Gentleman Bastards series. It starts with The Lies of Locke Lamora. 3 of them are published so far and another will come out later this year.

I would also check out some of Sanderson's one shot book like Elantris and Warbreaker.

Based on your criteria, I would recommend the Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks (warning - it will be 4 books). The magic system is completely original, and if you like Sanderson's style you should like Weeks as well. The HQ Book Series Search can also help you narrow your options to books that fit your criteria, and they have Sanderson on their top lists so it should be up your alley.

Back