• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fantasy/War Fictions

Infinity

Does anyone know what good fantasy/war genre fictions to read? I'm interested in reading about wars (or fantasy wars), but I don't know which book to read. Please recommend for me some. Thank you very much. :)

Before anyone else strikes...

1 - A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin. This is the gold standard for Fantasy (with war aplenty)

2 - Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson

3- Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker

4- Darkness series by Harry Turtledove

Not sure if these are what you're looking for but...

Gods & Generals, Killer Angels, Last Full Measure by Michael and Jeffrey Shaara – Excellent historical fiction about American Civil War

The Bruce Trilogy by Nigel Tranter – More historical fiction about Robert the Bruce and William Wallace and their fight for Scottish independece.

As far as fantasy goes, I would recommend trying the "Best Fantasty Battles" thread or maybe check out Ainulinale's top 200 lists.

Hope this helps!

pwilson said:
Not sure if these are what you're looking for but...

Any great war novels like "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" (By Luo Guan Zhong) shall do. :)

I'm looking for things like generals commanding thousands of troops assaulting castles, the stories of battling with intelligent strategists, ferocious warriors, magical wizards, mysterious kingdoms and empires, tales of kings and emperors, domination, etc...Things of that ilk.

Infinity said:
I'm looking for things like generals commanding thousands of troops assaulting castles, the stories of battling with intelligent strategists, ferocious warriors, magical wizards, mysterious kingdoms and empires, tales of kings and emperors, domination, etc...Things of that ilk.
You'll be happy to hear that Bruce and his merry men assault their fair share of castles, strategize intelligently :D and fill several of your other criteria. And although I don't recall any magical wizards in rural Virginia of the 1860's there's lots of strategy and troop maneuvering in the Shaara books. Have you read the Lord Of The Rings? Your list could have been written based on the trilogy so if not, that's the first place I'd start :)

I think the ORCS trilogy by Sean-Michael are just the books you are looking for :) I have not read them myself, but I have heard a lot of good things about them. Check em out and see what you think :)

here is the first book. What do you think?

I think you are gonna like it! It does seem like just the thing you were looking for :)

I might get them myself at some point. they do look good!

Back