• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fantasy Written In First Person Perspective

huxley

i just started reading "the jester" i like how it's writen the first persone is great. plus the sort chapters are amazing. a very pleasent read.

question: is there any good time period or fantasy book that are writen in first person.

and i love the sort chapters. can some one recomend me a good book that has sort chapters.

looking for good fantasy writen in first person.

thanks

I hope you know James Patterson isn't a fantasy writer. Or an author of historical fiction (The Jester aside).

Anyway, check out books from Laurell K. Hamilton and Jim Butcher. One warning: both authors write urban fantasy. So if that's not something you normally enjoy, then you may want to look somewhere else. However they do write using the first-person form of narration, plus the chapters in their books aren't very long.

I totally, 100% recommend Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. I have to warn that all the books after Obsidian Butterfly suck, but that's still a good ten or so books you could read. Series starts with Guilty Pleasures. Do not read if you are turned off by gore or sex, the latter mostly in later books.

You may also like the Bartimaeus Trilogy. The first book is split between Nathaniel and Bartimaeus's perspectives, and Bartimaeus's segments were first-person while Nathaniel's were third-person. Bartimaeus's were the best, mainly because of these hilarious footnotes he threw in everywhere and his observations of human life. The second and third books have another perspective added to them, a girl named Kitty's, and it is also third-person, but a great part of the books are first-person and you will probably like them. It's one of my favorite series.

Hah... you've not seen the other incarnations, I gather...

If you think I'm cruel now... [evil laugh]

:)

ds

LOL. I think you are a very cruel person and your banana shall soon wish to leave you.

o_O Dear god, that sounded wrong...

Will you give him a champagne bottle for New Years?

This is probably a bit late, but I have a suggestion:

The Assassin trilogy by Robin Hobb. The 2nd and 3rd books: Royal Assassin and Assassins Quest are the showcase of this series.

Also highly recommended is the sequal to this series - the Fool trilogy (Fools Errand, Golden Fool, Fool's Fate) if you find this series to your liking.

Another 1st person fantasy series I've read that I found interesting was the Skeeve / M.Y.T.H. books by Robert Asprin.
Great mix of fantasy / comedy with an odd choice of titles:

- Something M.Y.T.H. Inc.
- Myth-taken Identity
- Myth-ing Persons
- Little M.Y.T.H. Marker
- Sweet Myth-tery of Life, etc.

The first in this series is I believe: Another Fine Myth.

Back