• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fascinating scientific stuff

awww.eso.org_public_archives_images_newsfeature_eso1234a.jpg

A team of astronomers has spotted sugar molecules in the gas surrounding a young Sun called IRAS 16293-2422 with similar mass to the Sun . A simple form of sugar, not much different to the sugar we put in coffee or tea explains Jes Jørgensen ( Niels Bohr Institute, Denmark) . This molecule is one of the ingredients in the formation of RNA, which — like DNA, to which it is related — is one of the building blocks of life.” ---This discovery shows that some of the chemical compounds needed for life existed in this system at the time of planet formation .
awww.eso.org_public_archives_images_medium_eso1234b.jpg
<< What it is really exciting about our findings is that the ALMA observations reveal that the sugar molecules are falling in towards one of the stars of the system and the sugar molecules are not only in the right place to find their way onto a planet, but they are also going in the right direction >>

Last edited:
Your children, neighbours or friends might not be able to tell the difference between different pieces of classical music, but your pet goldfish can, according to researchers from Keio University in Japan . Scientists from the Tokyo institution’s Department of Psychology played Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by Johann Sebastian Bach and Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky for the goldfishes and were able to distinguish between the two famous composers 75 percent of the time .
I have to recognize...The first time that I read this study I laughed loudly...

Anyway, now starts the technical part :D
<< We developed an apparatus for measuring spontaneous sound preference in goldfish ---Music or noise stimuli were presented depending on the subject’s position in the aquarium, and the time spent in each area was measured. The results indicated that the goldfish did not show consistent preferences for music, although they showed significant avoidance of noise stimuli. . >> --- In another experiment involving 6 different goldfish, the scientists found the animals did not appear to show any strong preference for a particular type of music .
It's weird, I had bet on Jazz :)

Last edited:
I think that, the overweight doesn't influence in the Neuromasts, mechanoreceptors in fishes.... Actually, I refer to kind of goldfish bowl or containers for this experiment, as well as : the Water temperature & the Air temperature ( effect of compression/dilation of waves ) , the room Acoustic and the absorption of sound underwater, the Refraction, the distance between the fish bowl and the MP3 ( or another amplified device), etc... Sorry , I studied Hard sciences .

Last edited:
LOL Klaus was overweight and overflowing his bowl so I assumed that the dimensions of the fish which might relate to physical improvement in hearing ie his ears are bigger, or physical maturity ie young fish are less likely to appreciate the finer nuances of classical music vs older more experienced fish :rofl

I assume the acoustical qualities of a bowl overfilled with fat fish may not be as bigger a factor as one might otherwise assume.

The Klaus goldfish was a joke for sparkchaser . I am not talking about ears, I refer to sensory receptors , Neuromasts .
I think , these researchers observed some physical constants that i told before and others for inventing the mysterious apparatus able to measure the spontaneous sound preferernces ( stimuli) and besides, for developing this experiment... If it was my research field I would do it in that way . Anyway, this article still has few graphical and numeric data .

Last edited:
Boy Scout leaders topple ancient rock formation in Utah State Park.

Besides facing possible felony charges for pushing over a "goblin" red rock formation, the Utah Boy Scout leaders responsible for the incident say they are receiving death threats from around the world.

Even national scout headquarters is condemning them and considering punishment.
... "We are shocked and disappointed by this reprehensible behavior. ... The isolated actions of these individuals are absolutely counter to our beliefs and what we teach," said Deron Smith, national spokesman for the Boy Scouts. "We teach … the principles of ‘Leave No Trace.’ "

A LAB Operates Inside a GLACIER !!

afr.cdn.v5.futura_sciences.com_builds_images_thumbs_d_d028d3f3ed_43843_glacier_norvege_labo.jpg

BBC visits the Subglacial Laboratory .

Very interesting all these research works of my << Alter Ego >> :D
Chemical and isotopic (d18O and dD) analysis of a two metre long basal ice core was performed to investigate the mechanisms by which different ice facies have been formed. These and other studies examining the basal stratigraphy of the ice suggest there is considerable water movement therein. Other projects include examining the fabric of the basal ice, tracing experiments to study the subglacial hydrology and examining the basal motion of glaciers over hard beds and soft beds .

Last edited:
Back