• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Father Brown

Patrick

Have started reading The Complete Father Brown Stories by G.K.Chesterton, the excellent Wordsworth Classics edition with an interesting introduction by David Stuart Davies. It contains all 5 of the Father Brown story collections that commenced with The Innocence of Father Brown, published. in 1911.Have only read first four in that collection so far, this is a work that is meant to be leisurely immersed in over time
I must enjoy clergy sleuths, since I have read over the past year most of the Brother Cadfael novels by Ellis Peters.For those not familiar with them, Brother Cadfael is a Welsh Benedictine monk, former soldier in the Crusades,who solves murders in early 12th century England, during the time of the civil war for the throne between followers of Empress Maud and King Stephen.
A friend has recommended the Sister Fidelma books by Peter Tremayne. Fidelma is a 6th century Irish nun and sleuth. So I will be seeking those books out too.
Find I love classic English detective novels. Recently finishef Dorothy L Sayers' The Nine Tailors and have more Lord Peter Whimsey on my to-read list. And of course love Agatha Christie, especially Miss Marple. And of course Sherlock Holmes. Introduced to him in 8th grade when our English lit book had The Adventure of the Speckled Band. Only hope today's kids get exposed to such classics.(We also read Poe's Tell Tale Heart).

Back