• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Comic Book Character

Stephen

kickbox
What's your top 5 comic book character or superhero?

1. Batman
2. Wolverine/Logan - X-Men
3. Spiderman
4. Superman
5. Captain America

1. Batman
2. Phone Bone
3. Ironman or the Silver Surfer (not a tie, just one or the other)
4. The Joker
5. The Teenage Mutant Ninje Turtles (take your pick)

Not necessarily in this order:
1. Ben Grimm aka The Thing
2. Wolverine (see Frank Miller's 4 pt. series)
3. Batman (see Frank Miller's Dark Knight)
4. Dr. Doom
5. Elektra

Booooooouh...
Anything else in mind than the classic US-UK superhero thing?
Proper stories where you do not know the end in advance and good art for example:
Morgana (good on both)
Metabarons (good on arts, script went slightly a lot down later though)
John Difool series (very very good on script)?
Aquablue (good on both)?
Sillage (great villains in it)?
Complainte des Landes Perdues?
So missing my comic shops from the continent...
I concede on some exceptions though, like Watchmen

Morry,

Haven't you read any Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle comics?

My favorite was an issue about a little girl who was born hideously deformed (because her father worked in a lab where he helped design an experimental intelligence formula)

She became aware in utero, ran off as soon as she was born ( the panel shows the mothers spread legs on the left , and a strange creature running from between them on the right)

After running off, she holes up in an abandoned factory, wins money from sweepstakes, and builds a time machine.

She goes back in time to stop her father from working in the factory. She enlists the help of the teenage mutant ninja turtles who, reluctantly, walk to the girl's father's front door without much of a plan, actually, they can only come up with a violent kidnapping.

Luckily, when her parents open the door, they are visibly shocked (actual panel is a take on American Gothic and is very clever) and one of them extends a hand and says, "Hi, we're from the plant and we just wanted to say hello."
"Yeah, welcome."

That scares the man away and the girl is born just a normal dumb kid.

It's one of my favorite comics.

TMNT has gotten a bad rap.

TMNT

the ninja turtles characters had several different incarnations, The movies were the least sophisticated followed by the tv cartoon. The comics themselves vary in quality.

The issue I mentioned was very simple pen and ink.

Also, Bone is a great comic. It's a simple, funny adventure series, but it's sophisicated enough for adults. It's always being compared to Walt Kelly's Pogo.

I agree with you that most of the super-hero genre is nonsense, and I prefer more grown-up stuff myself, but there is a certain nostalgia Batman and the Silver Surfer and Iron Man give me, (I never cared for Superman).

As someone mentioned, The Dark Knight Returns is a great Batman story. You may have already read it, since it is very popular.

I don't read comics much anymore but I remember reading a few issues of Squee. Find them and read them, unless depressing, gory but brilliant satire is offensive to you.

It's about the life and imagination of a little boy, and it's very clever. Not for kids, though, so if you have any, don't leave this comic lying around.

I always though Spiderman was number one. Followed closely by Thor. Whatever happened to Thor? Gotta love that hammer, man. The last I heard of him he made a cameo in Life, The Universe, and Everything by Douglas Adams.

Perhaps a bit short. Never read the comic for was scared of how dreadful the movie was and of taking on more of it. :D
Guess the comic is better though the 'muscle' embodiment makes me fear the worst of the initial source :( . Honestly did not know what to do with these big muscles everywhere and so a weak a story line except having a good laugh. As for the theme, I much preferred Demolition Man - despite Stallone - , which was more subtle and better lead on the dystopia of the 'machine world', though very predictable. The best on the theme, probably would be the Matrix :) ... and the best antihero the Matrix itself.... Someone should do a comic out of it.

Morry :D

Originally posted by Prolixic
I always though Spiderman was number one. Followed closely by Thor. Whatever happened to Thor? Gotta love that hammer, man. The last I heard of him he made a cameo in Life, The Universe, and Everything by Douglas Adams.

Did Thor have his own comic series?

And if you're looking for Thor, just read some of those Viking saga comic books; you're bound to bump into him some day...

No super heroes?

Agree with Morry that this is top-heavy with super-hero faves.

No bad thing, I suppose, when you consider some of the heavy-weight stories that have come from the Batman and Superman mythos. But there are some other - arguably better - nominations:

Usagi Yojimbo (Stan Sakai's take on the ronin/samurai idea, using anthropomorphs - featured an excellent crossover with the Turtles, who did not wholly benefit from Hollwood - their true comics roots were extremely clever and satirical.)

Jimmy Corrigan - Chris Ware's "Smartest Kid On Earth". Very readable for the mature reader. Excellent social commenatary. Not sure of the availability outside the UK, but Chris Ware's self-published work (in which this appears) is Acme Novelty Library.

Spanish Scott & Amy Racecar - from David Lapham's superior crime drama, Stray Bullets, available from good comics shops everywhere.

There are so many others, historically as well as contemporarily (if that's even a word!) that maybe users will want to ask Morry or me for recommendations based on their genre preferences?

By the way - cheers to Morry for opening this one up a bit.

Tobytook

Hello all,
all this business of real 'railtrack' life yannow....
I have perhaps been a bit harsch on the 'top-heavy hero faves'. Yet it is not far from my feelings.

Funny things with super heroes is that I barely know how to turn around it... here - in contrast with elsewhere. Each time I pop in the library all the good stuffs are gone, hopefully I get some of them by a more informed spy. :D
More seriously, if not looking for the stereotype of the superhero and not falling into the Death of Superman and its dreadful art work and to complete my resources, would anyone have a list of heroes that are not always anti/super heroes? Cheers for the list to Tobytook - Try Morgana (1st volume is out in the UK) and if you can get the Incal series, you might like it (Moebius, 5 volumes, basically the Metabarons without the Byzantine blood of autodestruction).
Was screening shelves the other day in Oxford and was pretty empty of not only 'bloody' meaningless (mean it in the real sense) muscular developments in the art works as well. :(
've been told the Sandman was good, only 'hic' is I am a bit 'very' pricky on 'rough' styleless and worse 'unstabilised' art work.
Also looking for black-and-white art work (plus good story if exists), can be really great by forcing the artist into more reflection on how to have a story in drawn pictures. :)
And no attack here, sometimes nothing better than a good -strike-after-strike-killing-the-bad-guy comic for relaxation - Do not know whether you had these 'Ken le Survivant' thing - sort of a Madmax in Japanese cartoons where all the good heroes ended up slicing (literarily) their best mates by accidents on TV as a teen? Were great 16.20 fun. There is a time for everything. :)

Morry :D

Let me think a bit. I have not read an American comic for years know.

I would say Logan was my favorite character growing up... I did enjoy Spawn. Ummmm... Well I can not think much know maybe when my mind is ready. But I will list some of my favorite Asian comic characters.

I love Ryo and Dee from Fake... Talk about funny gay characters... By gay I mean they are gay. It is just funny to see Dee turn Ryo gay because of his constant kissing of Ryo.

Rei and Kira from Mars are great romantic characters. I love Rei he is so beautifully drawn and Kira is just a shy artist that reminds me of myself.

A short list:
1. Thorgal
2. Wolverine
3. Hugo
4. Jolly Jumper
5. Kajko

Thorgal by Rosinski?
Not being nosey, just interested in spread of kinds of comics available according to where...
And when i think about it as well: the two volumes of the youth of John Diffool (main character in The Incal).

Morry;)

not that i know ...

just funny how you came with one of my favourite comic series as a kid in continental europe.... i will always remember how scared i was the first time i read alinoe

morry ;):)

Well, I was so terrified that I couldn't sleep until I took it back to the library... That was years ago.
Thorgal is one of the most popular comics in Poland. At the moment, a new edition is being released. Rosinski was in my city about two years ago, but unfortunately I couldn't come to the meeting and missed a chance of getting his autograph (I heard that he always adds a small picture for each fan).

Back