• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Comic Book Character

hi all,

in no specific order:

-preacher
-authority vol.3 (NOT the other ones)
-killian's Tide (out of fathom, despite the boring art work)
-auburon's tale (in book of faerie but without the pale copy of barry grotter)
-watchmen
-incal and its john difool prequels
-scion (crossgen, except n.1)
-morgana
-X-men essentials
-fantastic cities (schuiten and peeters, i know i know it is not english-written)
-green lantern 1
-superman and maxima
-batman and master of the universe (victorian england batman)
-joker's bad joke in the batman as well
-gathering of heroes

morry:D

the worst comic...

just a thought really:

why not rating from worst to better, and rather expanding on why we do not like some comics/graphic novels?

morry :D

though cannot make my mind whether to start here between the death of superman, when he disguised himself in a bag of fresh blood and lois in a weeping doll, the wedding of superman, when they disguised in normal people with PARENTS, or emerald twilight when a psycho emerged from nothing.

ibidem:D

Off the top of my head and in no particular order, I'd say:

The Question
Cerebus
Frank
Reid Fleming, World's Toughest Milkman
Archer & Armstrong

Been reading Cerebus for 10 years now with only one more to go but I've kind of lost interest. Still buying it but never seem to have the time to catch up and I'm about 20 odd issues behinnd. Dave Sim seems to have disappeared up his own arse IMHO...

Frank is still great, but appearances are frustratingly few and far between.

Originally posted by Morry
Never read the comic for was scared of how dreadful the movie was and of taking on more of it. :D

Morry, please, please don't let this diabolical film put you off reading Judge Dredd! It was an absolutely appalling film and totally miscast - Stallone's mumbling was an embarrassment. The Judge Dredd comic strip is intelligent, humorous, shocking, thought-provoking and totally excellent. Judge Dredd tends to win the annual award for best comic character ever, so John Wagner must be doing something right! Try getting a few 2000ADs to see what you think. :)

Calvin and Hobbs
Tin Tin
Dilbert
Garfield
Death

Although some of them are comic strips, so I don't know if they would count.

Mxx

In no particular order:
Francine and Katchoo from Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise
Promethea
Death from Neil Gaiman's Sandman
Uhhh.... Garfield?

Technically ...

... Calvin & Hobbes is from a comic strip...

If it boils down to one character from a comic book, I'd take Ben Grimm, the Thing from the Fantastic Four. I still have the issue where having been stripped of his powers and a normal person, he is restored much to his dismay and takes it out on Dr. Doom. "Mebbe I'm just too ugly to die!" He delivers a terrible psychological defeat to the arch-villian, then lumbers off in self-pity. A great tragi-comic hero...

O

Comic book characters. The more human and tragic the better, but I feel the character is only as good as the writer. The current best:

1. Spiderman
2. Batman
3. Daredevil
4. Wolverine
5. Punisher
6. Herobear :)

Hmm- need to consult my collection of graphic novels since I've not had the space to buy comics with adverts for at least a year.

Superman (even though last time I checked his current titles were s***). As a character, hooked me from the time I saw the movie as a child.

Gaudim (from Lucifer). Noone can take the rip in the same way this fallen cherub can. A lot of Lucifer's supporting cast can be put up here, but I'll stick to 1 character per book.

Rorsach (watchmen)

Herobear (like corythosaurus I'm just a child at heart :) )

Swamp Thing

Batman - his only superpower is the lack of any need for sleep ;)

Judge Dredd Has got to be simply the best character ever!

Other notables

Conan, just loved the simplicity of this character. Fight, drink, eat, steal, womanise, all off your own back with no help from the gods. CROM!

Doc Strange More a thinking mans (or womans, to be politically correct) hero.

Wolverine, a classic character. The X men were one of my favourite comics to read.

Sid the Sexist, personifies a sad nothern england sexist. Very funny but just look at what happens to the character each story.

Fat Slags hilarious stuff, and oh so true in some cases. (bound to offend some-one here)

I just hope my parents have not thrown my collection out. Just too expensive to ship to Australia from the UK. Last I heard my nephew was reading them. :) Good lad

Originally posted by Carlos
Judge Dredd Has got to be simply the best character ever!

Other notables

Sid the Sexist, personifies a sad nothern england sexist. Very funny but just look at what happens to the character each story.

Fat Slags hilarious stuff, and oh so true in some cases. (bound to offend some-one here)

At last - someone else who has read 2000AD! I agree with your Judge Dredd, but I'd also add Halo Jones and Strontium Dog. And you're right about Sid and the Fat Slags - hilarious stuff and very true to life! (I must start buying Viz again.) :)

TinTin
Garfield
Wolverine
Jughead

but my all time favourite has to be GROO
anyone heard of Groo by Sergio Aragones(the guy who did illustrations for mad)????

• Sid the Sexist
  • Victorian Dad
  • Dirty Stan: Blue Movie Man
  • Roger Mellie: The Man on Telly
  • The Fat Slags

Other than The Viz I don't get comics at all. I don't get why adults read comics. :confused:

Back