• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Female Writers

My favorite woman writers

Emily Bronte for writing one of the most powerful novels of all times.

Then Sylvia Plath in whose writings I percieved a fascinatingly perfect
fusion of theme, style and language encapsuling a subsumed sense of agony.

Also, Mavis Gallant whose stories I read in Th NewYorker --- for her capacity to conjure up an atmosphere of exotic charm and calm.

I love Amy Tan. Her stories are usually multi-generational and deal with relationships between mothers and daughters, so they are very much books for women, I think. I also think Anita Shreve is a great writer of women's fiction that wouldn't be classified as romantic or sappy.

Mo Hayder writes in a different vein completely; she writes thrillers that are very violent, and if you didn't know she was a woman, you would assume that her books were written by a man. In addition to the violence, her main characters are primarily men, which she writes very believably. She also has a great ability to suck you into her stories, so that you end up staying up all night reading because you just can't put the book down.

The all-time great for me, though, would have to be Jane Austen. All modern romance novels and plays are in some way influenced by her work, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

I second Amy Tan - her novels are wonderful.

Also:

Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights will always be a favorite book.
Jane Austen
Diana Wynne Jones
JK Rowling

Would have to include Willa Cather on this list. She produced a ton of very readable, but touching works that are timeless. I'd also have to say Virginia Woolf, though I've only read To the Lighthouse.:)

Favourite female writers:

Margaret Atwood
Meg Cabot
J.K. Rowling
Jane Austen
Jodi Picoult (haven't read any of her books, though ;))

ETA: Why did I do this again *headpalm* Maybe I should have checked before I posted this.

Currently reading Deborah Eisenberg. She's touted as the American Alice Munro, but never having read Alice Munro, I am in no position to tell. So far, so good though.

I love Stephenie Meyer. I just finished New Moon and visited her homepage and I think she's really great!
But I also like Charlaine Harris and Juliet Marillier.

Margaret Atwood
Alice Munro
Ursula K Le Guin
Amy Tan
Margaret Laurence
Jane Austen

Possibles: not favourites yet because I haven't read enough by them:
- Anne-Marie MacDonald
- Jane Urquhart
- Arundhati Roy
- Joanne Harris

Stephanie Meyer
Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Patricia Cornwell
Annette Curtis Klause
Elizabeth Kostova
Alice Walker
Amy Tan
Maya Angelou

female authors

A sample of some good/fun contemporary female authors are, imo: (some more serious than others)

Diana Gabaldon
Carol Shields
Barbara Erskine
Janet Evanovich
Isabel Allende
Philippa Gregory
Sue Monk Kidd

................non -exhaustive

(where can we post the male ones? :) )

evanovich

Cozy mysteries is the right way of describing it. :) Nothing serious, you can read the books in a day, but they're fun, make you laugh, and all the characters are wacky.
M

Back