• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Future Utopia Work

USTopGun47

OK, so we've all read them. They're a rife hallmark of 20th century literature: novels about futuristic, totalitarian-uptopia. What is your favorite (or top 3 favorites)?

[I'd have to say my favorite is 1984...with Anthem right behind it]

USTopGun47 said:
OK, so we've all read them. They're a rife hallmark of 20th century literature: novels about futuristic, totalitarian-uptopia. What is your favorite (or top 3 favorites)?

[I'd have to say my favorite is 1984...with Anthem right behind it]

With 1984 and the word "totalitarian" featuring, I'm pretty damn certain that you mean DYStopia!

My top 3 would be (in this order):

Brave New World by Auldous Huxley
We by Yevgeny Zamyatin
1984 by George Orwell

totally the devil´s advocate by Taylor Caldwell
havent read 1984, just seen the movie, and didnt really like it, for that matter i enjoy a lot more brazil
but would recomend The R Document, by Irving Wallace thats its kinda a novel about how to get to... (ups :eek: its happening :eek: )

Doesn't Margaret Atwood get into this a bit? I have a few of hers on my shelf but haven't read them yet.

I love Brazil! Terry Gilliam is great. He's so out there....his Fear and Loathing adaptation (i think) is incredible....but in large part owing to Depp.

I think Brave New World is definetly one of the best. Of course, it lacks torture and a highly repressive regime. Haha. But like.

A quite amusing look at the future (which the soma of Brave New World Brings to mind) I must say would be Woody Allen's Sleeper....the soma specifically brings to mind the ball he has to pass around at the party. Quite hilarious, as all things are that come from Woody.

Has anyone read The Giver? We had to read it back in middle school and I thought it was decent. It's short and along the lines of Fahrenheit 451 (which...hmmmmm....I never really liked that book too much) and pretty good, for the audience it's aimed at. Had a pretty nifty ending as well.

hey i just remembered the stand by king, you might say that its not utopic, and maybe its true that
the survivors had to choose bettween a religiosly fanatical 108 years old black woman, or some sort of mephistofeles in jeans, but at least everyone was inmunne to the more mortal disease ever know, and they didnt have to worry about money or luxuries, or in production, since there seems to be a lot of fabricated products around just for people to grab
and anyway everybody seem to be quite content in both cities. :p

Ah, Brazil. How brilliant. And to think that the Americans wanted to make it finish with Sam really, physically escaping into his dream world, rather than into his head. That would have destroyed the entire film!

Ms. Attwood wrote A Handmaid's Tale about the future. It was very interesting. She tied it in with the Old Testament.

My favorite is Brave New World.

Though it is more of a dystopia, Brave New World, Aldous Huxley. The film adaption off the sci-fi channel was an odd one though.

i really enjoyed all the ones as mentioned above. i think animal farm should also be mentioned - that was excellent. also, i recently read oryx and crake (atwood) which was really interesting.

Jenem said:
i really enjoyed all the ones as mentioned above. i think animal farm should also be mentioned - that was excellent.

Agreed, it was an excellent book, but hardly set in the future.

Brave New World I thought was a little more realistic than 1984, and was more based on a perfect world through science. But I'm surprised noone has mentioned Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess yet. I thought that book was pretty nice. And as far as the book "We" goes, I heard that it is kind of a reiteration of 1984, except a little duller version. Is that true?

ecks said:
And as far as the book "We" goes, I heard that it is kind of a reiteration of 1984, except a little duller version. Is that true?

It was written about 25 years before 1984, by a Russian, and is worth reading simply because it is so eerily prescient; it describes the Stalinist USSR with unnerving accuracy before Lenin had even died.

I really enjoyed Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson was good, too, but with a lot of techno-thriller thrown in.

Who wrote Brazil?

USTopGun47 said:
Has anyone read The Giver? We had to read it back in middle school and I thought it was decent. It's short and along the lines of Fahrenheit 451 (which...hmmmmm....I never really liked that book too much) and pretty good, for the audience it's aimed at. Had a pretty nifty ending as well.

I have read this and agree, it's very good, particularly as it's aimed at a younger reader. Quite chilling too. However, I did not like the ending at all. I really really hate endings like that! :)

1984 had to be the best, followed closely by Brave New World. :)

A Clockwork Orange was cool too, though not exactly on the same lines.

Back