• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Movies

Thank you for recommened the foreign films. I go and find it one day when I go to shopping. These films aren't available in hired video shop which are really shame.

Halo, I remember this film Nikita and need to watch again one day. Fantasic film.
I forget to add my favourite films -
Mr Holland's Opus
Captain Corelli's Mandlieon

Sand Lot
The Princess Bride
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Spirited Away
Dr. Dolitle (The old one)
Most of the classic Disney movies
I know I'm forgetting a few, but I just can't seem to remember what they are...

On the subject of films nobody understands... 'Mullholland Drive' anyone?

Cheers, Martin :D

On the subject of films nobody understands... 'Mullholland Drive' anyone?
. . .but I still loved it! Watched it twice. It made for days and days of speculation and discussion around our house. :)

Well, everyone should see all of David Lynch's movies.

Some are more accessible than others.

Mulholland Drive is not like Memento, where

Originally posted by HBinjection
If that really is the case, I still have a lot of work to do, cause I've only seen Lost Highway, Wild at Heart, The Elephant Man, and the first part of Twin Peaks (the show, not the movie).

Some are more accessible than others.

Mulholland Drive is not like Memento, where each piece of the film fits together in a perfect puzzle.

It stimulates that part of the mind that likes to solve mysteries and put puzzles together, but doesn't satisfy it,

so the owner of that mind will either become frustrated and give up and go on to more personally satisfying stuff, or the owner will revisit the film, in memory or by viewing again, and will solve the puzzle in new ways each time.

The meaning of a film like MD, or LH or Blue Velvet is infinite, in that way.

I don't think thrillers like Memento or the Usual Suspects are any less artful than more obscure films. In fact, the scripts are perfect works of art, and the movies are superbly crafted. All of Hitchcock's films are like that too. It makes for immensely satisfying experiences.

Rewatching those movies is like hearing a favorite bed time story. You know what's going to happen, but you still feel suspense anyway since the film is so well-crafted.

But for me, movies like 2001 and some of Lynch's films offer more bang for the buck. For my time invested, I feel I get more out of them.

Mulholland Drive

so the owner of that mind will either become frustrated and give up and go on to more personally satisfying stuff, or the owner will revisit the film, in memory or by viewing again, and will solve the puzzle in new ways each time.
I agree. Lynch provides just enough ambiguity that, on reflection, you can think of scenes to re-play (either in your head or in reality) and notice different details each time - and with each different detail you focus on, you come to a different conclusion. I love that.

I can only agree, I love a film that forces me to work, to put things together, to think about it well after the film ends.

Examples: The Usual Suspects, Memento, Donnie Darko, 12 Monkeys, etc...

Cheers, Martin :D

Aaargh, Twelve Monkeys gave me a headache for days :D

I really want to see Memento as i have heard nothing but good reviews about it!

Yes, do see Memento! Very entertaining and it will get your brain totally frazzled. I watched it 3 times in a row just to catch all the clues.

Memento

I heard somewhere that on the British DVD there's this extra which allows you to watch the film in the right order. One the one hand, I'd love to see this, just to see whether or not my feeling about this film is right, but on the other hand, I don't want to see this, because I think it would reveal Memento to be a very run-of-the-mill thriller, and I don't want to undermine my current perception of this modern masterpiece.

Anyway, I'm babbling, because I'll never get to see it anyway, considering the Dutch DVD's don't carry this extra. Yea for Holland.

Cheers, Martin :p

Yeah ive heard about that also - mebbe i'll watch it that way round first, it could save me a large headache by the sound of it :)

Just kidding, btw, i wouldnt want to spoil the film that way ;)

Haven't see Memento yet but have heard about it. I like Sixth Sense which the ending was tricky, same with The Others as well.

Kaz, if you liked The Others and The Sixth Sense, you should see The Devil's Backbone.

It's in Spanish, so you can find it with English subtitles easily.

It's about boys in a haunted orphanage during the Spanish Civil War. There is a ghost, but there are other secrets haunting the school as well.

Hmmm favourite films....god there's so many of them.....

The Butterfly effect - but only the original - the directors cut is crap.
Billy Elliott
Gosford Park
Mona Lisa Smile
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Star Wars (4-6)
The Phantom of the Opera
Memento - I agree this film is genius but only because it's backwards.
The Matrix - Also genius apart from it's explanation of de ja vu.
LOTR triology
Ocean's Eleven - couldn't believe how crap the sequel was.
The Italian Job (remake)
Harry Potter 1 & 3 - the spiders were too realistic in the 2nd one!
Batman Forever
Bridget Jones 2
10 things I hate about you
Pirates of the Carribean
The Lion King
Monster Inc
Chicago

Back